What have I done now?!

I merely wanted to place a shortcut to the containing folder for my VSTs on the Start Menu, alongside the My Computer and Documents folders for easy access. I wasn't intending to run them individually from the Start Menu.
I get where you're coming from.

This meant the user/ shared document folders on C: were superfluous. So I set the view properties of these folders to 'hidden'.
Hmm. Switching to hidden shouldn't cause any problems, but of course just set it back to normal to find out for sure.

As far as I know everything in the start menu and most things on the desktop are shortcuts, so I doubt you've done any damage.
You've probably just made life a bit awkward for a while, manually locating things etc.

Check the recycle bin. If all the stuff's there, just restore it.
If it's not there, have a browse through documents/pictures/movies......Basically anywhere that you could have dragged/dropped stuff by mistake.

It's easily done....It's just not so easy to know you've done it! :p

Open windows explorer, navigate to C:/documents and settings/<your user name>/start menu/programs

The contents of this folder is what you see in All Programs. If it's empty or hidden, you see no programs.

Once you've got things restored:
Instead of creating a shortcut on your start menu, put it on your desktop .... One double click away instead of a single click and a double click ...

You're not computer savvy Varney. It's not an aura, or sods law, or bad luck, or a 'damned machine'.Take a course or move on, is my advice. :)

I mean that in the nicest possible way.

I know you do. And that is fair comment. :)

Though I think the sort of course I need most, would not necessarily involve computers...

Doc,
Do I understand you to say, that when you left click on your Start Menu, you do not have any programs show up, when the menu expands?

I re-read your OP and see that you lost your desktop icons.

Right Click on an open area of the desktop (I assume it is all open now)
Choose ARRANGE ICONS BY (dropdown menu appears), check SHOW DESKTOP ICONS. "F5" refreshes the screen.

Desktop.jpg

Doc,
Do I understand you to say, that when you left click on your Start Menu, you do not have any programs show up, when the menu expands?

Yes, exactly.

I re-read your OP and see that you lost your desktop icons.

Right Click on an open area of the desktop (I assume it is all open now)
Choose ARRANGE ICONS BY (dropdown menu appears), check SHOW DESKTOP ICONS. "F5" refreshes the screen.

Already tried this. Didn't work.

I haven't had time to go into the other computer since Wednesday. When I do, I intend to un-hide the folders which I set to hidden. Then take it from there...

explorer

Sounds like possibly explorer hsa shut down, though unlikely as I'm assuming you have already tried rebooting which should restart explorer. Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to open your taskk manager, under the processes tab see if explorer.exe is running, if not you must start it. Since you have no start menu press the windows key (the one with the picture of windows on it) and the "R" key at the same time. This will open the RUN dialog box, type explorer.exe in it and click OK. If this does not work you may have acquired a virus as some of them do just this, they hide your shortcuts in temp folders,
(XP)- C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Local Settings\Temp
(W7)- C:\Users\(Username)\AppData\Local\Temp
The best way to restore is to download the unhide utility here:
Unhide Download
I doubt any damage has occurred, just annoyance. If none of this works there is more you can do.

Naaaa man...there really IS an "aura" we all emit.
I've seen it demonstrated....and it's different for each person
It's some kind of electro-magnetic thing...and I am of the belief that some people just put out negative waves that have a bad effect on electronics.
I went through a period of a couple of months where things ceramic or glass kept breaking around me. At first I thought it was clumsiness on my part, like dropping a soapy plate while washing up. Then glasses would break in my hands. Things would just break. It got to the point where it was no longer a surprize. I was at a store one day, walked past some plates and one of them fell off the shelf and broke. I was nowhere close to it ! And in the midst of a delivery once, I was talking with the receptionist and one of her colleagues walked by with a mug of coffee. I looked at him and the cup just exploded and he got coffee all over him. I said to him 'this always seems to be happening around me'.
Then as suddenly as it began, it stopped. Nothing like it's happened since 1998.

Back