What did you have for dinner tonight?

I have had the same 3 supermarket microwave curry every day since the 15th November, and probably will till I go home mid January - 6 days a week 11 hour days and no time to cook, so microwave is the answer. Damn boring though, I had a Thai curry yesterday instead of Indian for a change. Tomorrow I might have Chinese, but probably back to Tika Masala.

Real men like beans. If you don't like beans, hand in your man card, if you ever had one.

Spantini said:
Medic ! ! :laughings:

As a kid, one of my all-time favorites was a can of pork and beans. I'd dump that into a sauce pan then grab a couple Oscar Meyer hot dogs and cut them into very thin slices - throw them in with the beans. I'd simmer that for as long as it took to make the dogs curl up into cups and look well done - just before it got too pasty to stir. Might have to add water halfway through to keep it from burning. That's it. Nothing else added. Yummy.

Last night I had pizza. Green peppers; black olives; jalapenos; mushrooms; and I threw on a layer of cooked greens.

Ha, for my stomach or my mental/emotional? I've long since for the very most part have been over those years of my life. The old bastard died not too far back. I round about ended up with a dobro out of the deal. I can't help it, I love(d) the sombitch, at least I finally got something positive out of the deal.

Like I said in the opening post(I think?), sometimes it's a pain in the ass, cooking/figuring out what to eat. I mean, damn, didn't we just eat dinner yesterday? Again? I still do those beanie weenies on occasion. I don't care what anyone says, yeah it's not particularly healthy, but it's good.....and easy! I like to sear the weenies/diced smoked sausage first before adding beans.

Crowsofritz said:
People love their Pinto beans here in Appalachia. I’m pretty sure Luck’s Pinto beans is like one of the most sold items.

I can't do the Luck's. Luck's Pinto Beans has fatback pork in it. Put fat in my pinto beans and I end up curled up behind the couch in the fetal position. I kid.

Orson said:
I am addicted to nuts or better nuts and raisons. When I start I cant stop and a real pain regards putting on weight. But never constipated!!!!:oops:

I know I am a weirdo !!:oops:

Man, I am a nut-nut. All kinds, any kinds. Sometimes i'll cook dinner for myself, wife, and others...i'll have a 12 pack(case? :o) and just end up drinking beer and eating nuts. Have I ever mentioned beer is food. I keep telling my wife that when she complains. In the old days to preserve food they would salt it, ferment it, or, you know......beer. I think tomorrow is going to be one of those nights. Brisket, nuts, and beer....lots of beer. Maybe baked sweet potato. I like baked sweet potato,...no sugar, butter, nutmeg,/allspice/cinnamon...just as is, a near perfect food.

My wife made her special chili with ground venison and ground medium sausage, Wic Fowlers chili mix, add beans, onions, tomatoes. I made corn bread and baked it in my cast iron skillet. Decorate the top of the chili with sour cream and shredded cheese when serving, add butter to the corn bread and ummmm, good!

I've been thinking about it lately, but it's been a while since I made corn bread, w/ minced sweet onion added. Usually made in a cast iron skillet given to me by my mom, skillet is older than I am...that's old! I have a couple of those cast iron corn bread stick pans...emphasis on the stick. I mean, they work, but in my experience you have to almost overcook the corn bread to get a good release. Someone just gave me some venison jerky. It's alright. Someone else has mentioned several times about giving me some venison, still hasn't pulled through. Not sure I want it anyway, i'm a bit particular from whom I get wild game. I fish A LOT, but I don't hunt.

Next cold snap I might cook up a mess of pinto beans, and corn bread.....or potato soup, but if I make potato soup I don't need corn bread. Decisions, decisions.

I just recently have gained interest in Chinese 5 Spice powder. Never used/had any. Star anise, fennel seed, cinnamon, clove, and sichuan pepper corn. Spice the pork and either hang, roast rack, or otherwise suspend while roasting to get a good dry roast. Loin, sliced longways to provide a greater surface area.

IMO, one of the keys to good fried rice is to get the wok ripping hot and throw in the onions first to get a slight brown around the edges. The onions obtain the "breath of the wok" flavor. That's one reason some Chinese, Mexican, and other restaurants pump out such good vittles....their woks or cast iron is so well seasoned from repeated use you get "the breath" flavor. You can actually smell it, that breath.

I've been thinking about it lately, but it's been a while since I made corn bread, w/ minced sweet onion added. Usually made in a cast iron skillet given to me by my mom, skillet is older than I am...that's old! I have a couple of those cast iron corn bread stick pans...emphasis on the stick. I mean, they work, but in my experience you have to almost overcook the corn bread to get a good release. Someone just gave me some venison jerky. It's alright. Someone else has mentioned several times about giving me some venison, still hasn't pulled through. Not sure I want it anyway, i'm a bit particular from whom I get wild game. I fish A LOT, but I don't hunt.

Next cold snap I might cook up a mess of pinto beans, and corn bread.....or potato soup, but if I make potato soup I don't need corn bread. Decisions, decisions.
Cornbread is another HUGE thing in Appalachia. That stuff sells quick, too.

Fresh warm bread baked filled with green and black olives and sun dried tomatoes spread with just butter or dip in extra virgin olive oil. Feast on its own.

Do you not have leek and potato soup in America?

One leek chopped with chopped potato. Some garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper. Cooked then liquidised so it's all thick. Just add fresh bread and dip in.

I just recently have gained interest in Chinese 5 Spice powder. Never used/had any. Star anise, fennel seed, cinnamon, clove, and sichuan pepper corn. Spice the pork and either hang, roast rack, or otherwise suspend while roasting to get a good dry roast. Loin, sliced longways to provide a greater surface area.

IMO, one of the keys to good fried rice is to get the wok ripping hot and throw in the onions first to get a slight brown around the edges. The onions obtain the "breath of the wok" flavor. That's one reason some Chinese, Mexican, and other restaurants pump out such good vittles....their woks or cast iron is so well seasoned from repeated use you get "the breath" flavor. You can actually smell it, that breath.
I forgot the 5 spice... dumbass.

Man, I am a nut-nut. All kinds, any kinds. Sometimes i'll cook dinner for myself, wife, and others...i'll have a 12 pack(case? :o) and just end up drinking beer and eating nuts. Have I ever mentioned beer is food. I keep telling my wife that when she complains. In the old days to preserve food they would salt it, ferment it, or, you know......beer. I think tomorrow is going to be one of those nights. Brisket, nuts, and beer....lots of beer. Maybe baked sweet potato. I like baked sweet potato,...no sugar, butter, nutmeg,/allspice/cinnamon...just as is, a near perfect food.
Tell your wife Mick and this is true...............In days of old even through the Victorian era, everybody drank beer. Man woman and child. They did this because it was brewed everywhere for people because water was dodgy. Water in most places was not safe to drink without boiling. So the safe drink was cheaply produced fermented water in the form of beer or even cider depending where you were. Beer was as common as Coca Cola.

Last edited:
Cornbread is another HUGE thing in Appalachia. That stuff sells quick, too.

Good to hear you're still at your job. I apologize for giving you a hard time back when I believe it was you first got started. It was inappropriate of me to do so, and I apologize.

Good to hear you're still at your job. I apologize for giving you a hard time back when I believe it was you first got started. It was inappropriate of me to do so, and I apologize.
Eh, we’re adults, unlike one user. Water over the bridge 🙂 I apologize for my insult.

Homemade chicken and vegetable soup. A big bowl of chunky soup. Yum Yum!!! Chicken breast, leek, mushroom, parsnip, carrots and potato.

I've been working on music since 3:30 AM, so... I'm munching out on PB&J PB&J PB&J PB&J.. you get the idea. I'm going back for another PB&J.

Back