What DAW do you use?

What DAW do you use ??

• Total voters
Audacity at the moment. Some people suggest me Reaper. Worth changing?

Audacity is a great editor, has a lot of useful purposes, but it does not work its best as a DAW, plus I am pretty sure that is not its intention. Download Reaper, free to try. Hard to use, so you have to get ready to learn the DAW and about recording.

I just got Reaper a few days ago, so far I like it. It seems very basic compared to the the Cubase and Cakewalk I have tried. I never got to record with the Cubase much or the Cakewalk at all because my PC is dumb but this Reaper will work for now. I also downloaded Audacity a while back but could'nt use it so I can't compare Reaper to it.

Reaper for MIDI, tracking and mixing (some find it clumsy for MIDI, but I used both Roger Powell's Texture and Sequencer Plus Gold back in the day... talk about awkward!), and Audacity for editing and mastering.

I started with Audacity in '06, and recently started with Reaper. Audacity is more basic, and Reaper has the steep learning curve. Both have their advantages, and together they work well.

Reason is great for recording. Not so great for MIDI. Kinda funny that as it was originally designed for MIDI. I used to use Cakewalk to do all my midi, then convert it over to Reason. I've since learned how to work around the awkward Reason interface. As far as recording, Reason is absolutely easy! Hit the record button, wait for the clickdown and play. Everything goes in right, stable, problem free! But where it really shines is in the mix. Everything I ever wanted at my fingertips. Effects, mastering, hugely controllable EQ, virtually unlimited tracks. it's huge! The layout, which gives you the option to reroute cabling on the back like it's real world, gives me a flexibility that I have never seen in any other DAW. If you want your track to have chorus and flange with 45db gating, it's right there. If you want to gate before the flange, you just reroute the virtual cables on the back of the devices and voila! there it is!
It is more costly that other DAWs I've seen, and as I've said, it is not great at CREATING MIDI, but it is right awesome at USING it.
So there's the P&Cs of Reason.

I use Logic Pro and Ableton. Ableton is not in the list for some strange reason? Logic Pro is great because it gives me tons of possiblities for adding all kind of effects. Ableton is much more loop based and is less interesting when doing a standard session - recording vocals or instruments. But for dance music with short vocal loops it is perfect for recording performances.

Cubase 7.5.10 here and loving it! I am trying out PT11 and really don't like it so far, still prefer Cubase for features and usability, even once learning the shortcuts, especially in the latest update with cubase I think they have nailed it

Logic Pro X is where I stay, I like it better than I did 8 or 9. You cannot beat it for 200 dollars. For 200 dollars you get a TON of plug ins, and they are good plug ins, not crap ones, you get a ton of midi drum stuff, the midi piano's are great, the drum machines, thousands and thousands of samples. Flex time that I like better than the pro tools version, everything you need for 200 bucks. Which still blows my mind.

If you try to set up pro tools to have the things Logic has in it, it's going to cost you a lot of money. Even if you just want plug ins that are the same grade as the logic stuff, especially for those midi instruments. You'll spend thousands and it honestly won't sound that much different. I know pro tools is still the standard but for home studio, I go Logic and will never go back.

Composing in Logic has always been great. Used to, people would compose in Logic and edit in pro tools. Now less people are doing that, as Logic has caught up in the editing game.

I started with the Sony 32 track digital tape machine. At home, I ran Performer linked through MOTU timepiece to a 24 track tape machine. Later I moved to Pro Tools at home. I had no trouble running through an interface and patch bay for the instruments and off-board effects. Then I ordered the Adobe Premiere Production Suite. It included Audition. With experience, I've had no trouble getting it to do what I need.
Rod Norman
Engineer

What daw do you use ?

Back