What DAW do you recommend?

cjackson11

Hello all. I am coming from using an older version of ProTools. I just purchased a new Focusrite interface and am looking for a new daw. I want something that is pretty straightforward to use. The interface came with Ableton Live Lite and the user interface just looks too confusing. Sonar is only available in PC. It does not need to have all of the bells and whistles so I do not need the Pro version of anything but my requirements are below....

- Mac
- 24 tracks max
- Simple layout
- Can use plugins (EZDrummer, MOTU Ethno, Miroslav)

Thanks!

The guys on here will be quick to reccommend Reaper as one of your best value options. In my opinion almost any of the DAWs out there will look a little confusing till you get used to it.

How about just upgrading Pro Tools?
If you already know the PT work flow then you're a step ahead?

Other than that, yes, reaper is a great place to look.

I am not familiar with Reaper. Am I able to use my plugins?

I checked out the Reaper website. It looks nice....and fairly straightforward.

Last edited:
I am not familiar with Reaper. Am I able to use my plugins?

Yep, you sure can. And if I am not mistaken you can download a theme that will make it look like protools, if you really like that format. However, I'm kind of with Steemarro, if you're using protools why not just upgrade?:D

I was using ProTools on my Mac and after I upgraded to Mountain Lion it became incompatible. I like the way PT is laid out but I am not married to it so I wanted to see what else is out there since I was forced on upgrading my interface.

Oh, I see. Then, Yeah Check into Reaper, and like I said I doo believe you can make it look like protools, so it might help keep your work flow close to the same.

I highly recommend Apple's Logic Pro. It's native to Mac so you know it's going to "just work".

It's a step above GarageBand. You could always buy the light version and then upgrade if you like it. I've never had it NOT work with a plugin. (I use Addictive Drums, Ozone mastering tools, EastWest samples to name a few) It has worked with several I/O's (PreSonus, my friend uses MOTU)

It's typical linear editing as you would expect with a quick learning curve if you've already used proTools.

I was using ProTools on my Mac and after I upgraded to Mountain Lion it became incompatible.

PT 9.0.5 and higher will work on Lion / Mountain Lion. Of course, you'd need native and not MP since you have a non-Avid interface.

+1 on Logic Pro, though it works on AU plugins (vs RTAS on PT). Anymore, most plugin packages include both versions, but check to make sure your plugins are compatible before you switch to any new DAW.

Yep, you sure can.

Actually, that's not necessarily right. Reaper does not support RTAS format plugins, so only plugins which you have bought separately AND which came with rtas and vst formats will work with Reaper.

Here is an overview of multitrack recording software which you might find helpful, and includes details of what you will get with an updated Pro Tools version, just for comparison.

If you're still not sure what DAW to go with, start with Reaper as it's free for the first month and you can then get it if you like it.

I would have to agree with upgrading your Protools since u came from that. There are so many great tutorials on all versions on youtube. I hear it goes great with focusrite interface btw.

Back