what be a good directional microphone for recording sound effects under $700

davidmann

I'm doing a lot of sound effects field recording and I am looking to add to my collection microphone that will help me avoid background noises but will sounds great. the budget will be around $700. David - Untitled Document

What kind of sound effects are we talking about? There are two ways I might go about it:

1. Use an omni and get really close (sound falls off with distance squared) to maximize signal to background noise without too much proximity effect.
2. Use a shotgun mic and point it precisely at the sound source from a larger distance. Sennheiser makes a bunch of them, and they seem to be fairly popular. I don't have an opinion on them personally, though.

Which one I'd use would depend on what I'm recording, the background noise levels we're talking about, the amount of wind, and probably several other things I'm too tired to think of right now. :)

You can make a non-directional mic directional with baffling. sE reflexion filter, portable vocal booth, bass traps, proximity and other ways to take the world out of the world. Not always ideal depending on wind and stuff. But you probably don't want to be recording in high winds anyway. Or you could use something like these.

Sonic Studios HRTF Baffled/Headworn Ambient Stereo & Surround Microphone Recording Systems
DSM HRTF Headworn/Baffled Ambient Stereo Surround Sound Recording Systems & Mono Lapel Mics

Controlling directivity with a baffle definitely works as Shadow_7 says. The smallest baffle I’ve seen that also does the wind protection is the Pocket Sound Booth. It looks like sound to the front of the mic is flat and normal and the off axis sounds are reduced mainly in the high frequencies.

If you're really doing field recording and need a short shotgun, when I was doing location recording professionally, I used to carry a Rode NTG1 as a back up to my Sennheiser 416. The responses were close enough that the people in audio post never noticed if I switched from the 416 to the NTG1 between takes. I'm not sure of the NTG1 pricing where you are but it should fit well within your budget.

It's worth noting that, if you don't have a portable source of phantom power, the NTG2 is the same mic with the added ability to operate from internal batteries--this can be a useful feature.

I note that Rode now has an NTG3 model...I've not had a chance to try it but this could be interesting.

In your budget, don't forget to add a really good wind gag like a Rycote softie for field use...and maybe a short fishpole.

Bob

Controlling directivity with a baffle definitely works as Shadow_7 says. The smallest baffle I’ve seen that also does the wind protection is the Pocket Sound Booth. It looks like sound to the front of the mic is flat and normal and the off axis sounds are reduced mainly in the high frequencies.

Hey Xavier ..... Thanks for this tip ... looks to be interesting.

My 'desert island' mic for field recording is the AKG 535EB. It has 20-20k sensitivity, fairly neutral sounding, great off-axis rejection, low cut filter, pad, built in pop screen, and very durable. under $300 new, and I have bought used ones for $170.

The Shure SM 81 is another one to look at. Very flat response, but less-off axis rejection. Comes with a removable pop filter, has low cut filter and pad. Under $400.

Last edited:
I've got an sE reflexion filter, the large one. And it does little more than to make an OMNI a wide cardioid (if you have a side address OMNI). And weighs a ton. But of use if you happen to have a freeway on the back side of the subject of intent. Or a computer with a noisy fan. More of a studio / concert hall apparatus IMO. Just too heavy and big (and yet not big enough) to be used for anything that requires mobility.

Back