What are good laptops to get?

Delmont

I still haven't gotten this answered well enough. I want to be able to record up to eight live tracks. I won't be using many effects — probably just reverb and EQ, maybe compression. I won't be making more than eight tracks ever.

The interface will probably be a Focusrite Claret 8pre. The software might be Reaper, just because it's easy to use, but I'm open to advice.

What laptops can handle this without stalling, crashing, or making noise? I'm usually a Mac guy, and I don't know much about other brands. But Macs are pricey, so if there's a cheaper laptop that will work just as well, I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks!

Del

Last edited:
My Asus Vivobook has had 3 failures since July. The hinge broke. The USB3 outlet quit. Then the Lipo battery interface failed.

Jus' sayin

For Reaper I suggest you do a latency monitor test prior to installation.

With those requirements, you can get away with a pretty inexpensive laptop. Audio by itself isn't very demanding on a computer, even multiple channels of hi-res audio in each direction. (A Zoom H4n Pro can record 4 channels of 24bit/48kHz audio while playing back 2 more channels, and it's basically running with a potato as a processor and kilobytes of RAM). I'd still recommend getting the latest generation of processor that's in your budget. 8 GB of RAM would be fine in your situation, although 16 GB is a good insurance policy for the future. You definitely want an SSD as the system drive for overall system response and snappiness, and with enough capacity to at least hold your current projects that aren't being archived to an external drive. Other than that, just make sure it's got the connectivity you want and a good enough reputation/review history to make you comfortable in investing in it.

A worldwide shortage of computer components is driving up prices, and increased demand is driving down inventory. So I'd say if you find a good deal, jump on it.

+1 to the previous replies but, if you're usually a mac guy, take a look at the new M1 MBP or MBA.
The prices came down and performance went up...A lot!

May or may not be best bang for buck but worth a look.
Previous setup was a 12core MP 5,1 @ 3.33ghz and my M1 MBA laughs at it.
I know that was an old machine but still...M1's impressive.

Of course ensure that the software you use is compatible.

I'm a great lover of Panasonic Tough Books - they are virtually unbreakable - and very 'road friendly'. In my view, as long as they have an up to date OS, plenty of RAM, then for music even modest speed processors work. I hang (or did hang) mine on our X32 and M32 mixers and they happily record 20-25 channels without breaking a sweat.

+1 to the previous replies but, if you're usually a mac guy, take a look at the new M1 MBP or MBA.
The prices came down and performance went up...A lot!

May or may not be best bang for buck but worth a look.
Previous setup was a 12core MP 5,1 @ 3.33ghz and my M1 MBA laughs at it.
I know that was an old machine but still...M1's impressive.

Of course ensure that the software you use is compatible.
I've read that the new processor isn't compatible with the Claret.

I've read that the new processor isn't compatible with the Claret.
As of last month, Focusrite has updated compatibility as have most manufacturers for the M1 processor and Big Sur. There are still some plug in that are not updated and DAW's that don't officially support M1 (like Pro Tools) but many work in emulation without issue. I got mine last Dec and have had no issues but it is still worth looking up what you plan on using prior to purchase.

I got this HP a few years ago. It has been working great. In late 2019, I recorded my band at a gig using 16 tracks for 4 hours without a problem. I will probably be recording another band here soon.

Recently tried editing and rendering video. It worked pretty good, I was surprised. Almost as fast as my workstation PC.

I go with refurbished models. Usually, they were out in the corporate world and get retired in batches as IT dept upgrade all at the same time. I haven't had a problem going this route. I paid around $300 for it.

Back