weird waveforms

mshilarious said:
It's a brave circuit designer than doesn't throw in a cap before the non-tranformer-coupled output to CYA.

Having said that, I pulled some caps in a piece of gear in my rack, because I know there are caps on the inputs and outputs of the gear it interfaces with. But such assumptions could get one in deep trouble :eek:
I once popped some caps into a loudspeaker...

My friend set an old 12" 3-way in the yard of an old house he was renting at the time and we unloded a couple of clips from a Beretta .38 into it (a la Hunter Thompson, except without the flamethrower.) The woofer cone was 1 point, the woofer's dust cap was two points, the midrange cone was 3 points, it's dust cap 4 points, and the tweeter dome was 5 points.

Does that count? :p

G.

mshilarious said:
It's a brave circuit designer than doesn't throw in a cap before the non-tranformer-coupled output to CYA.

Having said that, I pulled some caps in a piece of gear in my rack, because I know there are caps on the inputs and outputs of the gear it interfaces with. But such assumptions could get one in deep trouble :eek:
That is common with a class B amp. In theory a class B amp should never output DC. But if the junction of one of the transistors melts, your speaker will be direct coupled to a rail of the power supply! The old, I blew my amp... then the speaker went up in smoke too! doh!
Almost all preamp circuits are class A amps since class A has no crossover distortion at the cost of an inefficient and thermally inferior design since the transistor is always biased in the middle of it's active region at idle. This biasing causes the DC output, and that is why class-A needs cap or transformer coupling.

As far a bypassing caps in your gear... it can be risky. Slightly less risky pulling input caps, since those are just to protect the input from another faulty piece of gear. But output caps will be there for a reason, like the amp is a class A design.
Also keep in mind, most opamp circuits may or may not be a class A amp. But if it is, they usually have coupling caps built in.

Back