Weird audio glitch

lazlothemonkey

Hi,

I encountered a weird audio glitch for the first time yesterday while recording a violin and piano classical track. I have attached a short clip.

this is my setup:

- Lenovo Ideapad 5, AMD Ryzen 4800U, 16GB RAM
- Windows 10
- Rode NT55 Stereo mics
- MOTU audio express
- Reaper DAW

It only happened for around 7 seconds and then it stopped. I don't know which part of the recording setup could be causing this problem. Thanks for any help!

Attachments

• distortion.mp3
    216.7 KB
Last edited:
It only happened this one time? Sounds like a driver (or other software) issue, if a reboot doesn't clear it up, then uninstalling and re-installing the drivers might work.

Actually it happened today again. And I rebooted the computer just before the recording session. Could you please tell me which exact drivers you would suggest I try installing and re-installing?
The problem is that I also cannot recreate the issue reliably. It just happens seemingly at random.

I recommend starting by swapping cables. It's the quickest possible fix after reload of drivers. After that you have to do a diagnostic routine which usually involves swapping out each component with a known good part and re testing, starting at the input(mics) and through cables to interface to computer.

Hi,

I encountered a weird audio glitch for the first time yesterday while recording a violin and piano classical track. I have attached a short clip.

this is my setup:

- Lenovo Ideapad 5, AMD Ryzen 4800U, 16GB RAM
- Windows 10
- Rode NT55 Stereo mics
- MOTU audio express
- Reaper DAW

It only happened for around 7 seconds and then it stopped. I don't know which part of the recording setup could be causing this problem. Thanks for any help!
Might be that your drive can't keep up. Have you tried recording to an outboard disk?

Cables? Care to explain as the example is typical of where an interface misbehaves and it’s usually drivers, but the other thing is just buffers drastically overflowing can cause this stutters jitter. If you have a performance monitor that shows you cpu, ram and drive traffic you might tie it down further. I don’t get the cables thing at all? They work, or don’t work and have never heard a cable do anything like this.

Thank for the replies. I updated the drivers and firmware and I changed the sample rate to 48 khz and I haven't encountered the problem again since then. I will still monitor the situation further to see if the problem occurs again.

If you aren't doing any overdubbing where latency is critical, you might increase the sample buffer a notch just for security.

Back