Was at a Guitar Center yesterday...

CaptGoldenEars

What a strange and wonderful place. I don't go to music stores often for two reasons. First, i keep my setup pretty simple. Two, I don't have tons of cash anyway and don't like to window shop. I'm walking around and it's just a bunch of people showing off really. So i decided i would too. They had this wall of Boss pedals already hooked up with the amp and everything, so i'm looking at it and this very attractive lady asks if i want to try out something and i said sure. She gives me an Epiphone Les Paul and i began to jamm away. So i began to play one of my specialties - ringing open strings with a nice galloping rhythm. I'm playing kinda loud and i noticed when i stopped everyone who was making tons of noise before had stopped to listen and look at me. Cool. Made me feel good for a minute. Then we went to Hooters. Ha!

True story.

There was also a guy there with an electric violin. Six string no less. I waited for a pause and asked him how he tunes it, and he looked at me like i should already know. Musicians sure can be weird huh? Anyway turns out he can get most of the cello range and just about all of a guitars range. He played quite well. So me and my pal bought a pedal and some strings and left.

I know, i know......who cares right? Shit, i need to get out of town more often, it was fun.

When I go I hurry through the guitar section, Always 5 or 6 playing very loud, but you can hear it all through the store anyway.

You didn't play "Stairway to Heaven"...???

That's absolutely obligatory on any Saturday that you are at Guitar Center trying out guitars.

Posers - true - but if you're serious about a guitar you gotta play the shit out of it to see if it suits you. If you're a crappy player - tough - your cash is still golden to GC!

... Then we went to Hooters. Ha!

Where other attractive lady ask if you'd like to try.. :p

Infamous and truly memorable hoot of the day (and totally paraphrasing here..) would be Larry Gosch,(at Skip's IIRC) Above said din..
'Enough. Get your check books out now.'

:D

that happened to me once - but then after about 20 seconds of silence someone said - "can you please turn that fucking amp down!"

I actually played a Les Paul for the first time last week at a music store up the road.

Now I must have one.

Hell, you need to get out of the house more often.

But, I like your little story. It's somehow funny, in a strange kind of way that's hard to put one's finger on.

Maybe that's why i had so much fun? But yes, you are right. I just need to take baby steps by leaving the house once in a while, then leaving town wouldn't be such a shock.

And what's up with bands dressing the same? Even casually? There were four guys and they all had beards, stocking caps, plaid shirts and chains hanging from their wallets. They might be great players for all i know but they sure looked silly to me being together like that. Now i see bands all the time locally and sometimes they dress in a similar fashion, but identically? When i saw these guys i chuckled to myself.

Where other attractive lady ask if you'd like to try.. :p

Infamous and truly memorable hoot of the day (and totally paraphrasing here..) would be Larry Gosch,(at Skip's IIRC) Above said din..
'Enough. Get your check books out now.'

:D

I had the Strip Cheese Chicken! It was good, but nothing to write home about. Funny thing though, my buddy (who is recently single) said i would have to not tell my wife about going there, and i said no I can tell Sherrie we went to Hooters. My wife is very laid back and cool about most things, and my pal says 'i need a wife like that!'. I said i'll take that as a compliment and nothing more.

Carbon Leaf's lead guitarist Carter had a guit-cello (6 string, fretted neck) this past weekend! He held it like a guitar, but used a bow.

Maybe that's why i had so much fun? But yes, you are right. I just need to take baby steps by leaving the house once in a while, then leaving town wouldn't be such a shock.

And what's up with bands dressing the same? Even casually? There were four guys and they all had beards, stocking caps, plaid shirts and chains hanging from their wallets. They might be great players for all i know but they sure looked silly to me being together like that. Now i see bands all the time locally and sometimes they dress in a similar fashion, but identically? When i saw these guys i chuckled to myself.

They were simulated!

Yeah I don't get the ultra tight jeans and beenie on the back of the head look. It rarely gets below 65 degrees F here in California, and I see dudes wearing their caps no matter what and they must be super hot.

Plus I wear plaid shirts and have a beard, and these guys are ruining it for me. Sorry, I'll go find some fashion forum and repost all of this.

Yeah I don't get the ultra tight jeans and beenie on the back of the head look. It rarely gets below 65 degrees F here in California, and I see dudes wearing their caps no matter what and they must be super hot.

Plus I wear plaid shirts and have a beard, and these guys are ruining it for me. Sorry, I'll go find some fashion forum and repost all of this.

I don't think the style is bad, it just made me crack up when i noticed it was four guys together. Even their beards were trimmed the same!

They had this wall of Boss pedals already hooked up with the amp and everything, so i'm looking at it and this very attractive lady asks if i want to try out something and i said sure. She gives me an Epiphone Les Paul and i began to jamm away. So i began to play one of my specialties - ringing open strings with a nice galloping rhythm. I'm playing kinda loud and i noticed when i stopped everyone who was making tons of noise before had stopped to listen and look at me.

so you're that guy....
;)

Im that one guy, but not that guy

I got my Les Paul btw ! $245 craigslist - ebony les paul standard - perfect :)

Back