Walnut "Strat" I just built

thebigcheese

"Hi, I'm in Delaware."
For your viewing pleasure, here is a project guitar I just finished. I hardly think it can be called a Strat, despite the body shape, because it sounds nothing like a Strat. I just like that shape. Walnut body, goncolo alves neck, pau ferro fretboard. Pearly Gates in the neck, JB in the bridge. The knobs will also be walnut, I just don't have them yet. It's my new favorite guitar in my collection :) The neck was a showcase special from Warmoth (I don't know why it wasn't snatched up sooner) and the body I bought from some guy on eBay who cuts bodies. I think the guitar needs some time to really open up (especially since the neck is completely unfinished), but it still sounds quite nice right now.
IMG_1086.jpg
IMG_1088.jpg

Nice. I would get something on that neck if I was you or it will soon get messed up. If you want something quick easy and also something that a lot of pro builders use go for tru oil. It gives a really slick finish when done and is fine if you want to go on top with some thing else later.

Nice. I would get something on that neck if I was you or it will soon get messed up. If you want something quick easy and also something that a lot of pro builders use go for tru oil. It gives a really slick finish when done and is fine if you want to go on top with some thing else later.

I don't think you're supposed to finish these woods. Warmoth doesn't offer finishes as an option for them because they are naturally quite oily. I was going to do tru oil on the body, but the wood shop near my house recommended this oil and urethane finish they had and that worked really well. Though there are a couple spots I dinged it before it fully cured... Oh well, no one else will ever know.

Tru oil is an oil Urethane finish. I have used it on dozens of guitars and as a neck finish it is my preferred finish these days. Whatever you may have been told you need to put a finish on that neck if you want to keep it sweet. If you just use a conditioner such as lemon oil it will gum up. We have been over the Warmoth finish situation here before if you search it..

Having said that you can take or leave the advice no problem.;)

Eh, I will probably not take your advice :p All that I've read from other owners of these necks say they've had them unfinished for years and they're fine. I'll probably just have to take extra good care of it. My bassist prefers unfinished maple necks on his Music Man basses and hasn't had any issues, though they are more temperamental with humidity and temperature and he is constantly adjusting the truss rod. But he is also extremely picky about his action.

Eh, I will probably not take your advice :p All that I've read from other owners of these necks say they've had them unfinished for years and they're fine. I'll probably just have to take extra good care of it. My bassist prefers unfinished maple necks on his Music Man basses and hasn't had any issues, though they are more temperamental with humidity and temperature and he is constantly adjusting the truss rod. But he is also extremely picky about his action.

Cool.... Speak later about it.:thumbs up:

My bassist prefers unfinished maple necks on his Music Man basses and hasn't had any issues, though they are more temperamental with humidity and temperature and he is constantly adjusting the truss rod.

Call me old-fashioned, but I'd call that a bit of a major issue. :rolleyes:

How is assembling a guitar from ready-made parts "building" it, exactly, by the way?

no offence. :)

Call me old-fashioned, but I'd call that a bit of a major issue. :rolleyes:

How is assembling a guitar from ready-made parts "building" it, exactly, by the way?

no offence. :)

Eh. Even finished necks will move somewhat. He is abnormally picky is all. I don't mind a little buzzing. Goncalo alves is supposed to be extremely stable, though, so we'll see how it goes. So far, I'm not real worried about it. And most people with similar necks have had no issues.

Well, I never said I built it from scrap! I do feel somewhat guilty saying that I built it, but on the other hand, I did enough work on it that I don't know what else to call it. I did finish it, modify the neck pocket to fit the neck, wire everything up, and then put it all together. Not to mention picked out all the components to make the complete whole. So I feel like that's more than just assembling. If you come up with a better word for it, I will use it.

I will probably record a quick demo video of it soon for those interested in actually hearing it. I forgot to mention that I also wired it for volume-volume-tone instead of the standard Strat scheme so I can get my Tom Morello wicky-wicky on :p

Uh, yeah! My Finished maple neck on my 72 Tele has never needed adjustment - in 40 years!

My '79 Gibson The Paul is solid as a rock and there is hardly any finish left on the neck (all walnut). I think some woods just handle it better, though I do think the neck could use a fresh coat to slick it up a bit.

Nice axe and the video is great ! Really versatile sounds from the set up you have.

In fairness, I'm also using a Boogie Roadster, which has 4 incredibly versatile channels. I thought about adding coil tap switches, but I really don't think it's necessary with the walnut body. Bright, but really full tone. I love walnut.

Back