"Wait" -- I think this is final, just want to check

JP!

Damn nice! Don't know what to say! I have always loved your songs, and this is just as good as the others. Is the bass too weak? Hmm, personally, I like bass not as loud. May be it's because I play it that way in order to not draw any attention when I make mistakes. =P Nah, your song is just perfect!

The difference between you and Ning Khai is, Ning Khai make music, while you compose music. It's nice to know that I have such a talented friend!
Well, as usual, keep me updated each time you finish a song alright? Have fun!

Moon da musician wanna be...

hey MrLip,

if you remember i posted here a few months back requesting for songs to be played in a show i'll be in here in singapore ? it'll be on the 28th of this month. can I use your song ?

Wow. Wasn't expecting this.

hongteck, I've emailed you. It would be nice if you could tell me the details again.

I just listened to Wait, and man I Love EVERYTHING about it!
This is Simply a Great Song, and whoever is singing this has a really great voice.

If this is You Mr. Lip, where are you located?

Tim

[This message has been edited by Tim Brown (edited 06-26-2000).]

Yeah it sounds good doesnt it...

This song could be a number 1 hit if it got mastered by sonusman or the like... and put into the right hands :)

Tony

Tim: Glad you like it. Yes, that is me singing. I'm located in Bangkok, Thailand.

As for the #1 hit.... I really wouldn't know how to go about marketing/promotion or even recording a pro-quality version of the song. I don't have the funds for pro-quality. For marketing/promotion, 1, it's tough for me since I'm in Thailand and people here generally listen to Thai music. 2, I don't have a band so it's not like I can really gig around or anything like that.

I guess if I wanted to promote this thing I would have to go to an English speaking country and find a band.

Or is there another way?

[This message has been edited by MrLip (edited 06-26-2000).]

Have you at least looked into starting a page at MP3.com? WOW!! Nicely done... you should get your tunes out somehow. KEEP IT UP!!

-bman

I tried! but the damn page was so difficult to navigate I couldn't figure out how to do it!

I'll try again.

I'm serious-man this is a Great Song-the more I listen to it, the more I like it!
First, make sure all of your Copyright info is done-then send this thing to every major Record Company you can!
MP3.Com is kind of a pain. I was looking through their stuff; My band is entering the Studio in August (My Bass player got cold feet about recording the songs ourselves-so we're going to a studio-but HE's paying for it! Hahaha), and we plan to put a few songs up-once we do, I'll make sure and tell you exactly how to do it if you haven't done it by then.
I'm serious , this is a great song-and I think the recording is really good.
The only thing that I really noticed was a few "bursts" of Air (plosives from breathing) other than that-it sounds great to me.

You definitely have what I would consider a very "Radio Friendly" voice and you're delivery is emotional, which is something that many singers just can't deliver! ;)

Tim

MrLip mate

with stuff like that you dont need a band Trust me

ps: ask Charles Thomas about maketing ideas

see ya :)

Tony

MrLip,
I failed to post on this thread when it first was made. I did comment on the first posting of "Wait"

I have D/L'd the new one and I like it even more than the first.
I have liked (loved) this song of yours for a long time.

I am trying to let you know what weight this song has in my life. I've listened to it again and again and sometimes I cry. A song that can bring that emotion out of another "listening" human being is a song that has served a purpose, and continues to serve a purpose. Be very proud of this song, MrLip, you have done something special here. People are talking about "No.1 song" and I agree, but even if it doesn't reach that pinnacle, know that it has touched people in a special way. Isn't that why we do this?

At the same time, I am jealous. I want to sing like you and add the little elements that you seem to have a mastery of.

Keep up the wonderful stuff!

Brad

Terrific piece of work all around. The recording is so transparent that the music gets through with no impediments. That's what it's all about. A reminder for all of us that, yeah, gear is important, but more than anything it's what we do with it and how much we communicate through our music that stands up in the end.

MrLip, I don't remember if I posted anything on the first thread of "Wait" or not, sorry if I didn't! But I did D/l it and it's a song I listen to pretty much on a weekly basis...Great song...Great voice...and last but by far not least...One Hell of a mix! Thank You!

David

Mr. Lip. I liked this one the first time around and again now even though I'm listening to it with a TB card instead of my usual monitoring system. If the mp3.com submission process has you confused, I'd be glad to submit your stuff by proxy. I just did this for a friend of mine with no computer at all.
http://www.mp3.com

search for Timothy Owen. There's only one song there right now, but I'll be uploading more stuff when my buddy comes across with the demographic info for each song.

Most of all: Keep making good music.

oh, two more things...

1) You could sack Selma Hayek with this song on a first date, dude. You could probably sack Mother Theresa if she was still around.

2) May I broadcast this?

You got the right stuff, dude.

Brad: It really means alot to hear that this song has touched you in such a way. I'm speachless.

Kelly Holdridge: Broadcast?

Everyone else: Thanks again for the feedback. The help I've gotten from this forum has greatly contributed to my music. Without you guys and this site, songs like "Wait" wouldn't have turned out as good as they have. Thanks again.

OK, I used to produce so please don't take offense as to these suggestions. I am just an arm-chair quarterback these days but here goes.

Song - Great structure
Lyrics - Well written with a good hook.
Voice - Very marketable
Arrangement - If there is anything I learned in 20 years of production it's watch those repetitious electric guitar lines. I would have varied those slightly each time in the chorus. Similar but not the same, would have been a better approach. Also, the electric riffs come close to stomping on the mood of the voice in some places so let them play in the holes and get out a little quicker. Some of those singing guitar notes might end up better in a crunching (not too crunching) chord.

Second verse - Needs something interesting and previously not used in the background holes between the vocal. Clean guitar stoccato picking, or maybe percussion chimes in the background, possibly keyboard percussive notes maybe. I would have experimented in this area.

This points to the technique of constantly keep the wall of sound interesting. Slight variations in the melody accented by different instruments or tonally different perscussion adds the color and interest to a solid foundation. You did alot of this already.

All else is good except, I had a problem with the stop near the end. This is a rather dated technique although you did it well. I would have tried another version without.

Finally, the ending was too abrupt, I feel a ballad like this needs a fade-out at the end. As the acoustic had brought us in I feel it should take us out, perhaps, with that wailing eery guitar sound stringing along, or a repetetive vocal fade.

Just some ideas to explore

Regarding sound quality - Snare a little to monophonic. Right in that telephone speaker range. I would have taken it out some at about 3000Hz. Set the Q around 6.5 on the parametrics. This might have been my speakers however so I would check this on a variety of speaker models to verify.

Finally, overall I really liked what you did.
These are just some suggestions to take or leave at your discretion.

Back