Votes: 17 42.5%
  • My gravestone will be shaped like a Crybaby

Votes: 6 15.0%
  • WahWah's are so disgusting I'm gonna shoot the next punk who says the word

Votes: 1 2.5%
  • Victory Pete is a lame thread bumper

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
How about, "I don't have a strong feeling for or against, but they can be interesting tools now and then in the right context"?

Monsoon said:
How about, "I don't have a strong feeling for or against, but they can be interesting tools now and then in the right context"?

Yep true, and this goes for any effect eh? They are all cool and all have their own place in a recording or gig, but you do not need to use them all the time as you may no longer really appreciate what the effect does.

As far as wah wah's I really do like them, and they can be very effective as well. Lately I have discovered I do not really need the pedal to get similar results, no, the toneknob can emulate the effect very well, especially if you own a Strat which I do not :D but I have a Satriani Ibanez and this one is good at doing this job as well. In fact Joe himself does this trick very often:

Plays a phrase with toneknob all the way down, and at some point he bring it all the way up just to give that bright boost. Well I used to think he did it with the Wah, but no, it is the toneknob. Oh yes I know, he does use the Wah as well, but that is another story :D

So yes Wahs are great given the fact that you use them in moderation.

Eddie

I need a proper Crybaby cos my old one died and all I have is the wah effect in a Zoom 505 I borrowed as a stopgap. Sickening! But yeah - it's indispensible.

sile2001 said:
There is no, "Yes, I use wah sometimes and on some recordings" option... This poll is defective!

Agreed.

It's certainly not "always turned on", but I consider it a staple in the world of guitar effects, and I will always own one. I've tried lots and my all time favorite is the Fulltone Clyde. I also really like some of the Teese wahs.

A

We always joke about the "evil-ness" of the effects pedals that I use when I play in church. I've got the Kerry King (Slayer) signature EQ pedal, all my pedals are powered by a Voodoo Labs Pedal Power 2, and my wah pedal is a Snarling Dog Super-Bawl Whine-O. Great spiritual pedals there :eek:

I use a crybaby in a standard box, no rocker pedal.

I use it quite often for a different flavor, mostly to "wash out" and distance my playing in codas and other parts where I want to not be the center of attention in a song. Or the opposite, mixed with a distorter to make a chord section nasty and cutting.

I don't think i'd get into the calssic wah stuff because, among other things, I don't really play "solos".

Ape

Am I the only one who found the pedal travel of the crybaby to be too short? I felt like I had no control, because the tiniest movement made a huge difference in the sound.

They can be tricky, especially trying to get the geet to sit in the mix properly. To use effectively, you need good recording chops, as well as practised, nuanced use the of the wah. It takes experimentation, and practice. It's probably my favourite non-distortion effect, though I use it sparingly.

I love it, but I use it only when something in my brain says it would work well in a particular song.

One of my favorite techniques is to play a solo with the pedal up for awhile and then bring it down to make the listener realize I'm using one.

You have to have the right guitar sound and the right kind of chops to use one effectively. Kirk Hammet has neither, yet a large number-possibly a majority-of his solos are wah-drenched, making him sound like a retard.

I haven't owned one since the '80s, but it's easy to recreate the effect with a para EQ. It's fun with automation because you can create a '3D' wah by changing Q, boost, and frequency. That's a lot of work though.

I couldn't make a choice. A crybaby and chorus are really the only effects I use outside of my amps. They're not always on, just selectively when the tune calls for it.

I used to use a wah wah all the time, as a regular part of my hookup,...

but now I hardly ever use it. It's been unused for many years, and has scratchiness in the pot. Still, it's fun, and I should get it out just to mess around with. I dig the wah sound. It's very expressive. :cool:

Back