volume levels problem

Laynestaley

Newbie Shmewbie
Whenever I play a wav. or mp3 with windows media player, the volume level is much lower then, when I play something in Cubase. I've tried playing a cd in Cubase and it seemed to be 10 times louder then when I played the same cd through the media player. The sound is never distorted or anything, just way too loud. When I sometimes switch between the media player and Cubase, forgetting to adjust the volume on my mixing board, my monitors/ears seem to gonna explode..
Is there a way to lower the volume level in Cubase so it is about the same as all the other programs that use audio? I've tried lowering the main mixer level in Cubase but this is not an option since this affects the volume of exported songs, so when I was to play them through the media player the level would be way to low.
I hope I made my problem clear.. Any suggestions?

Not sure why adjusting the master volume in Cubase would affect exporting songs ? Couldn't you just readjust the master volume from song to song ? Or are you talking about importing a song from a CD into an existing song that your working on ? If so can't you just adjust the volume of that track ?

It sounds like you have different level settings for the mixer that controls your soundcard. There are different levels for your master volume, cd audio, line in, wav/directsound, midi ect. depending upon the soundcard you have. Find that mixer(usually a window with fader controls) and adjust the levels there and that will probably solve your problem. Try going to start/programs/accessories/entertainment and you may find the volume controls there.

Back