Voice Recording

ocean77

My wife and I not being familiar with the Karaoke machine thought when we purchased something she could use to record her voice. I've tried many ways without success....very frustrating. Just curious can voice recording be done on Karaoke and or does it matter how is set up? We paid only $160, maybe it is not set up for recording. Thank you!

My wife was just named the winner as a Music contestant and she would like to continue, but she would like to get better sound from the voice recording. She has a very good mic, but that is about it. Is there like an inexpensive, but professional home recording system that would give professional sound? Short of that is there a Software that maybe she could use/ Thank you!

Well, we'd need to at least know the make/model of the machine to know if it's even capable of recording.

Otherwise -- If you're looking for something along the lines of "professional quality" I'd submit that you'd be FAR better off going to a proper studio. In the long run, it'll be a lot less expensive.

That said, if you really want to go the DIY route, obviously you're going to need something capable of recording and hardware that's up to the task. "She has a very good mic" doesn't tell us much either. Figure at the bare minimum a Shure SM58 (or jump up to a Shure SM7b, EV RE-20, Telefunken M80 or M82, Heil PR40...) some way to get that signal to a computer (an integrated preamp / converter / interface such as --- Geez, a Focusrite 2i2 or something like that) and software to manipulate that signal (Reaper. There you go). And OF COURSE, a monitoring chain that's up to the task in a room that's also up to the task.

That mic selection assumes you don't feel like remodeling to create a decent tracking space.

With enough eventual experience, you can get decent recordings with a $1,000 rig. But again, if you're looking for honestly good recordings within the next bunch of years, I'd suggest booking some time somewhere locally.

I don't think it would be difficult at all -- assuming she's actually a good vocalist -- to bang out a song per hour or better. I used to do vocal demos all the time back in the day... They'd walk in with a handful of karaoke-type discs and we'd slam out tune after tune after tune in an afternoon.

Last edited:
Back