Vocal recording

Dmeek

For the last several years ive been recording vocals unprocessed directly into my computer. I find that the vocals are inconsistent in character though & have been told i should be recording with compression on the vocals as they go in & can understand why they would be done that way but is that the only way to get professional results? I really like the idea of recording unprocessed tracks so i can change things or use better plugins when mixing down the road( but not so much that i want to deal with the nightmares of being stubborn. I have a pod x3 live that i wanted to start recording vocals through( it models preamps as well as effects) but it sees to distort my signal so i have not been using it:( Anyone have any suggestions ?

Thanks,
Daniel

describe the recording space, the microphone and are you plugging straight in to the microphone input on your computer?

A bedroom,The Rode NT2-A & yes i am plugging in direct. Does that response imply professional commercial quality music can be recorded without compression during the recording process?

I don't mean to imply anything, we just need more information about your environment and signal chain to help you.

compression can be added after the track is recorded with great success. but if your room is untreated and you're going into a stock PC sound card, it won't sound very good at all.

I don't mean to imply anything, we just need more information about your environment and signal chain to help you.

compression can be added after the track is recorded with great success. but if your room is untreated and you're going into a stock PC sound card, it won't sound very good at all.

yep.

get a solid preamp

yep.

The mic seems like it should do perfectly well, but the rest of the chain is problematic - a better pre might help. Not to be a jerk, but you also have to look at the performance and performer, as we are not all made for professional vocal performance. Perhaps some samples of dry vocals with no compression, etc. added would help. You can upload them to lightningmp3 - I'd be glad to have a listen to see what might need work.

I'm an experienced singer with good mic technique, but I never record vocals without compression. At least not successfully. :o

compression

I guess i was asking : does anyone know of anyone who records without compression on vocals & get pro results? I am a experienced musician but am just interested in hearing what others have found successes with. If i can only get so far without recording with compression before eventually using it i would rather start recording with compression now. Sorry for the confusion;)

Back