Vocal Microphone

jortiz7

Hello, I am searching for a microphone to go with my Great River Pre-amp & Audient ID14 interface. It is only going to be used for vocals, mainly male vocals. I have narrowed down my options to TLM103, KSM44A, AKG C214, AT4047 & AT4050. My budget is around $1000. Any suggestions?

SM7b.

Out of .37 billion mics I access for vocals, I just keep going back to that one.

THAT SAID -- I've yet to try the new Telefunken M --- Uh... M-82?

You could probably get a 7b *and* a 214 *and* an Avantone C --- Uh... CR-14(?) for under $1k total. Pretty much covers about anyone you'd throw in front of 'em.

SM7b.

Out of .37 billion mics I access for vocals, I just keep going back to that one.

THAT SAID -- I've yet to try the new Telefunken M --- Uh... M-82?

You could probably get a 7b *and* a 214 *and* an Avantone C --- Uh... CR-14(?) for under $1k total.

I don't have quite the same amount of experience but I too keep coming back to the 7b.
I don't think I've ever been unhappy with it.....ever.

What else do you have, out of interest?

When I say "access" I should say "have access to if needed" -- Just about anything that isn't rare (and some things that are).

I don't track much anymore -- But if there's something specific that needs to be done with specific equipment or in a particular room, I'll go wherever and use whatever they want.

In this very room? And yes, I know, it's a mastering place. But occasionally, someone needs to cut a vocal part - or I need to do a bunch of voiceover work (that's reasonably frequent actually). I keep a 7b on a stand pretty much all the time. I have a FrankeNuemann lying around - it's a U87 that's been tweaked quite a bit and has a "less sterile" (lack of a better term) sound that's a bit more vocal friendly, a Beyerdynamic M88, 414, RE27ND... A few other nick-nacks. And fast access to most pop-picks from several sources locally.

But usually, it's just the SM7b. If something comes up where I need to do overdubs on an existing vocal track, I'll ask what they used and match it if it makes sense and makes things quicker. But if they say "we used a condenser" then FrankeNeumann usually does the trick.

To the OP -- I almost forgot the Rode NT1a... Should be on your list on the condenser side.
(snip) I too keep coming back to the 7b.
I don't think I've ever been unhappy with it.....ever.
That's because it's one of the greatest vocal mics ever designed at any price, period. :thumbs up:

Last edited:
Before recommending anything, I'd want to know:

-How well treated is the OP's recording space?

-Does the OP's taste in recording run to "warm and smooth" or "crisp and detailed".

If the room isn't well treated, the SM7B (or maybe RE 20) might be a good choice since they will pick up less room noise and echo.

Similarly, if you like a very warm sound the big dynamics are good for that as well. However, to my ear they never have the crisp detail that I prefer in a vocal recording. This is purely down to personal preference of course, but it's worth thinking about.

Of the mics mentioned on the OP's list, my preferences are the TLM103 and the AKG214...in a treated room.

Back