vintage Marshall and Goodman

xstatic

I just got back from an out of state spending spree and cam up with some cool stuff. First off, I picked up George Lynch's old 1973 Marshall Super Lead 100 that has been internally modded (no drilling) to a Super plexi. That thing is incredible. Truly a on trick pony, but that trick will put all of the new marshall, Mesa, Diezel, Engl etc... amps I have heard to absolute shame. The head has fully biased and tested original Sylvania tubes in it and I have never heard such a fast and responsive guitar amp. When you hit a stop, the amp stops so fast that you can almost feel the pressure change. The highs are mean as hell, but in no way abbrassive and all of the controls are extremely usable from full cut to full boost. I can't even imagine what it would be like to have 4 of these guys behind you and 8 cabs.

To go with the head I picked up a Marshall replica cab from Mojo that is built like the mid sixties marshall cabs. Vintage logo, beautiful (and matched) piping, steel handles etc... Right now the cab is loaded with 2 vintage 30's across the top and 2 actual vintage Goodmans on the bottom. Does anyone know where to get 2 more Goodmans and roughly what the Goodman 12" speakers run? I would like to pull the Goodmans out and order one more cab and make a 4x12 cab out of the Goodmans. and finish off my current cab with either 2 more vintage 30's or maybe 2 of the heritages. The Goodmans are not a high power speaker so I don't want to kill them in the primary cab with that head.

Also, while I was gone I discovered a great new amp tech (the same guy I bought the Marshall stuff from). I am imagining that the prices may not always be the same, but he did some killer repair work on my original '67 Bassman head. In 2 days he cleaned the whole thing out, swapped a preamp tube in channel 1 with an Amperex Bugle Boy tube, replaced the rest of the preamp tubes with RCA longplates, replaced the power amp tubes with two matched RCA black plates, properly biased the setup, replaced all the filter caps with sprague's, cleaned all pots and knobs, and the inside of the amp (tranny, power supply etc... ) from the mess left by the old blown filter caps. In the end, including parts and a 48 hour turnaround time, I paid well under $200. I expect that future work or maybe just other clients may not get quite as good a price, but if anyone is looking for a great tech, this guy treated me better than anyone I have ever used, and did a KILLER job for me. He also builds custom replica Fender tweeds and deluxes, and marshall Bluesbreakers for a VERY fair price.

All in all, I think I did pretty good this last week for a drummer buying guitar stuff:) Just had to spread my happiness and let people know that I found a good repair tech (which can be VERY hard to find sometimes). Also trying to get more information on general info, value, and availability of the Goodman speakers:)

Considering I'm more or less a total George Lynch fanboi, I'm going to have to demand clips and pictures of that thing. :D

I bought the amp from a repair tech in Tucson, Arizona.

As soon as I am in the studio and the right time to use this specific marshall setup arises, I will try and post some clips. I can try and get some pictures as well:)

Also, while I was gone I discovered a great new amp tech (the same guy I bought the Marshall stuff from). I am imagining that the prices may not always be the same, but he did some killer repair work on my original '67 Bassman head. In 2 days he cleaned the whole thing out, swapped a preamp tube in channel 1 with an Amperex Bugle Boy tube, replaced the rest of the preamp tubes with RCA longplates, replaced the power amp tubes with two matched RCA black plates, properly biased the setup, replaced all the filter caps with sprague's, cleaned all pots and knobs, and the inside of the amp (tranny, power supply etc... ) from the mess left by the old blown filter caps. In the end, including parts and a 48 hour turnaround time, I paid well under $200. I expect that future work or maybe just other clients may not get quite as good a price, but if anyone is looking for a great tech, this guy treated me better than anyone I have ever used, and did a KILLER job for me. He also builds custom replica Fender tweeds and deluxes, and marshall Bluesbreakers for a VERY fair price.

um, yeah... id say you got a good price, especially considering that JUST a pair of nice NOS blackplate 6L6GC can cost that or more. either the guy is an idiot, you got really really hooked up, or someone is lying.

a

Well, I am not lying, he isn't (I have inspected the tubes myself), and after hearing the result of his work, I would not say he is an idiot. The tubes were not brand new, but we tested them before they went in to the amp. The best part is that when I shipped the amp to him, I pulled the RCA 6L6's out because the sockets were a little loose and I did not want them to break during shipping. I stuck them in a groove tube box and forgot to tell him what was actually in that box. When he saw the Groove Tube box he said he never opened it because he could not bare the thought of putting Groove Tubes in a '67 Bassman. I thought that my tubes were gone because when the head died I saw a blue flash on the wall behind it as it happened. Turns out it was just the filter caps. We tested the RCA's and they actually tested better than a pair of new Sovteks that I had purchased to see if power tubes was the problem (I do not own a tube tester, but I soon will). Basically, he did a great job and treated me great which is why I am referring everyone I know to him for repairs.

Back