video in Cubase

sbrady

I do audio for television. I do 400+ videos a year. I just noticed that my Cubase 10.0.6 seems to have this issue. When I play video it seems OK. But when I use the arrows to play 1 frame at a time, it plays 1 frame, then I arrow RIGHT 3 times, NOTHING happens. Then 4th click and it moves, then 3 frames and nothing, then 4th frame it moves. So have been noticing when I am in Edit mode, and the video moves with the audio, the video is not really moving so it is difficult to get perfect lip sync. Anyone else have to deal with this. When I play the mp4 or mov in Quicktime 7, it plays every Frame so I know the video is ok, its the video playback in Cubase. I appreciate any help.

Remember the format is the key. Some formats don’t record every frame, and just update what changes. Hence why some are tiny but look good playing. People often try to edit these in premiere and other editors then Ho on the forums complaining they’re not frame accurate. Google I-frame. I suspect that if you use non-compressed video clips you’ll find it works normally. I’ve never had issues with my system. Cubase is just trying to show you a complete frame but it isnt there! After a few clicks there is a fill frame, and this is as close as it can get.

Well - it's buffering the video so Ii would think that you need a more powerfull machine. At least thats my thought.

I don't think it's i-frames. Those are often set to a value of something like one every two seconds, so four frames doesn't match up.

Seconds? Can you imagine if the main parts of a picture only refreshed that slowly? the GOP rarely goes over 15 frames - half a sec in 30fps countries. I guess B and P frames might be it - but all I can say is H264 or pmg works fine in my machine and dosn't seem to stress it very much. I suppose you could make lower res copies to work with if 4K or whatever is a bit much?

Maybe in some compression types it's more frequent, but for some it's on the order of seconds. It doesn't mean that the B- and P-frames don't update the image, it just means they're free to discard what doesn't change enough.

Here's the I-frame frequency setting in OBS (keyframe = I-frame in this context):

1626978436776.png

I’ve tried .mov and .mpg at 1080p at full def and my video scrubs normally. I tried some more outrageous compression presets and they lag and behave randomly. Video with more than a few frames between I-frames isn’t very suitable got this purpose really.

Back