VF 160 Inputs

Emmanuel

Hello Everyone

First time posting on this forum but I have read many topics and have gotten much information but i could not find an answer to this my question.

I have just bought a fostex fv-160 so far it has been a great machine. The only problem I have is not enough xlr inputs. So thats my problem.

Basically I need more xlr inputs.

So first question can I use a balanced (1/4) with an unbalanced input on the fostex. I was thinking of buy a recording snake that has (1/4) on one side and xlr on the other side. Or does any one know of any other way I can connect more the two xlr to the fostex.

I basically want to record in a live situation but i need room for more then 2 xlr cables.

Thanks

Emmanuel

yep, you can do it that way but you might have problems with level.

you are better off getting some mic preamps to go with your vf160 so that the mic signals can be converted into line level signals with a 1/4" plug

Tube

Hello guys thanks.

I called mackie tech support and they said I could use the insert channels on the cfx 16 as direct output to the fostex so this seems to take care of my problem needing more xlr inputs. I did look at the behringer put its output are xlr they dont have 1/4 output or at least I didn't see any. So do you think using the insert of the mackie are a good idea or atleast better then the one I had.

Well thanks again for the help any other suggestion would be great.

Thanks

Hello

Okay I see what you guys are saying about the adat. So if I undertand I can Get the berhinger ada8000 connect it to the fostex using the adat I/O on both units and get an extra 8 channel w/preamos and with out having to buy and adat recorder as well.

Please a little more help i am really new to the concept of recording.

Thanks

Emmanuel

Emmanuel said:
Hello

Okay I see what you guys are saying about the adat. So if I undertand I can Get the berhinger ada8000 connect it to the fostex using the adat I/O on both units and get an extra 8 channel w/preamos and with out having to buy and adat recorder as well.

Please a little more help i am really new to the concept of recording.

Thanks

Emmanuel

I believe you are correct. Via the ADAT Behringer you'd have 8 inputs, plus the 8 still on the VF160 (16 in total -- 10 XLR, 6 1/4").
The other option would be to buy a different external preamp or two that have XLR inputs, go from them into channels 1-6 via 1/4", thus adding their XLR inputs to the 2 already on the VF160.

Thanks bill

What kind of preamps would you recommend. I have heard of behringers reputation and would like to stay as far away as I can but if I can find the same solution with a different product at around the same price I will stay away from behringer. On the other hand that is not a bad deal for more channels.

So thanks for the help billisa any one else.

Emmanuel

Emmanuel said:
Thanks bill

What kind of preamps would you recommend. I have heard of behringers reputation and would like to stay as far away as I can but if I can find the same solution with a different product at around the same price I will stay away from behringer. On the other hand that is not a bad deal for more channels.

So thanks for the help billisa any one else.

Emmanuel

I've actually heard good things about the Behringer ADAT 8-channel preamp. Perhaps a search on this site will pull up some info.

As to individual preamps, the M-Audio DMP3 is a two channel, very well liked preamp. It's goes for $150. I like the Studio Projects VTB1 (1-channel for $130.)

So the Behringer with 8 channels for $199. (I think) is a good deal, assuming it sounds nice. If zzsounds has them then you can read some customer reviews there as well...

I use 2 Presonus Digimax LT's with my VF160 for location work. One goes in through adat, the other one goes into the 1/4 inputs by using insert cables from the digimax (using only the "send" from the insert cable, no need to "return" it to the digimax).

Okay, that's probably a confusing explanation, but: Presonus Digimax sounds fantastic! ADAT or analog outs.

Hey thanks guys thanks for all the help. I think I will look into the berhinger unit see what it sounds like. I have a local dealer that carries a lot of berhinger I will call tommorow see if they have the unit maybe i can go by and play with the unit a little. Once again thanks for all the help.

Emmanuel

more XLR inputs....

Emmanuel:

(1) The insert sends from your Mackie will work fine with your VF. As a matter of fact, so will the insert sends on a Behri UB board. Using the insert sends, you will be hard pressed to detect differences between the Mackie and the Behringer, especially live. I have both, use both, and like both.

(2) Insert outs are not "direct outs". Insert outs are prefader, pre-EQ, pre-EFX. The only adjustment, level, is adjusted via a pad pot, Direct outs are post-fader, post-EQ, and post-effects. Inserts are the preamp and pad, direct outs are the whole channel strip.

(3) The Behringer ADA8000 will, as used above, be an insert-send type of signal---no EQ, no effects, no fader---just (continously adjustable) pad. It's not the only unit out there. It's a bargain and works well with the VF, especially if you want to add eight recording channels to the VF.

(4) A lot of preamps hook up to the HiZ channels of the VF and sound great---some have already been mentioned.

(5) Think about what you really want & need. If you only need two more XLR inputs, you might look at preamps with toslink (optical) S/PDIF output rather than ADAT. These would give you 10 simultaneous recording tracks on the VF.

Good Luck,
Paj
8^)

Paj

Thanks

After reading your post maybe I will just get a snake and record using my mackie. So it sound like getting the berhinger unit is getting something I already have in the mackie but gives me 8 extra channels. That sounds good but maybe later. The snake is much cheaper then the behinger and I really don't have the money right now for the behringer. Thanks again for the help.

Emmanuel

This is a great site with lots of infomation !!!!

Back