Very nice low wattage tube amp

Thurgood

Maybe I should have titled this thread the "go buy this" but that would be too much. Read what follows and as I state at the end I got no association with this product. Other than owning it and lovin it. I hope this is helpful because when I searched for an amplifier of this type there is sadly not a lot of info on this product and I had to dig a bit to read about it. Here is what I wrote the other day in hope of giving you fine folks the heads up.

Hello all: I thought I would share some of my experience with a fine product: The Emery Superbaby, manufactured by a friendly and helpful fellow named Curt Emery. To begin I direct you to his website emerysound.com (sorry if this did not hyperlink). In shor tthe Emery Superbaby is a cathode biased single ended tube amplifer that is capable of tube substitution, a simple eq (one knob) bypassable tone stack, Vol, Mode switch (clean, loose and boost) and other features you can explore on his site. I have played the guitar for 30 years, own some nice amplifers and I believe I have disciminating ears. Ok I am picky about tone, who herre isn't? In short this amplifier is ABSOLUTELY AMAZING. To begin: Construction top notch, aesthetic, beatutiful. Sound is absolutley crazy good. Oh the price in terms of goodness per dollar cannot be topped. Bear in mind this is a low wattage single ended amp and does the single ended thing in spades, the tone is totally dependant upon your choice of preamp, power and rectifier tubes. (ok, playing style and touch too). You can mix and match to your hearts content (see his site for comment about tube selection adn reference to types of tones). Back to touch, this amp is so responsive to attack and your touch you will be amazed. The amplifier puts out power based upon the type of tube compliment, I can't really specify wattage but you can get an idea by comparing dissipation of the different tube types and rectifiers pre's etc. generally between 4-12 watts. Don't be fooled this thing can be LOUD. Mix and match speaker cabinets. My favorite a 2x 12 weber blue dog closed back driven by a 5751 pre, 6l6 and 5ar4 rectifier. Yummy. Thats a little to loud for ( oh , way too loud) for bedroom but it sounds awesome. Enough of the superlatives on to more nuts and bolts application. The amp does a very nice clean in a very warm kind of way, not bright and scooped clean like the DRRI but more midrangy and a Very procounced 2nd harmonic. The 2nd harmonic is right there almost as prominent as the fundamental. Now I understand that this a characteristic of single ended amplifiers but coming from a push pull background (Marshall, fender type push pull amps etc) it is a bit startling to say the least. The amplifier does not really generate more volume past the 12 o'clock setting on the volume knob it as other reviews state, increases saturation and tube compression. THis is tube compression you can really hear at less than kill animal volume. When using the supplied low power rectifier and a 6v6 (not supplied) you get very tangible compression as you increase the volume. (check out other reviews on the net). The observations noted above reflect my impressions of listening to the amplifier in the room; when you put a mic in front of this thing you will be presented with a new sounscape. No suprise there but the suprise is how huge the thing sounds mic'd up. Using an el 34, 12ax7 and a tight rectifier (and type of speaker, in this case the Blue dog) you are in old suiperlead territory for rythm (sp) land. Fat, rounded and very smooth. In another test I was practicing Blue Jean Blues by zztop. Totally nailed the sound. Hands down. Never been so happy in my life, it was real. On a side note I find the tone control a bit limited but still useful however I prefer as do others bypassing the tone control and letting the guitar volume and tone do the work. You have less loss and a larger amount of control. Do not expect this amp to replace your jcm or your deluxe as they are different critters but by mixing your tube compliment and your cabinet you have at your beck and call a vast array of tones. One last item pedals.... I have tried the Fulldrive 2, Fulldrive mosfet, Ds-1, Jeckll and Hyde, TS 808, Swollen pickel and a couple of home made boosters and what not. All were A-ok as matter of fact pedals really opened up a huge new arena so don't be afraid, you will not be disapointed. For you hard core Ubermetal fans this may not be the amp for you but golly it sounds good and is a fun and extrememly useful tool for the home recordist, pro recordist and lovers of great guitar tone. One more thing the amplifier is dead quiet. I could go on about the mode settings (loose, clean, boost) but you can read about them eslewhere nonetheless I will say that each is useful and provided good tonal and feel variations. The Boost mode (non footswitchable) is not huge blow your face off grind type boost more lik adding a few or so db of gain and a more on the edge type of feel.

You really should try one of these out. PS I do not work for or am I associated with the manufacuturer, just on very satisfied customer who can't type but loves great guitar tone. Very satisfied. Be well all. William R. Sevier. Oh btw the second harmonic thing is so cool.

Im suprised how cheap the crate vintage club stuff seems to be in the pawn shops...there are nicer low watt tube amps out there, sure...but some of the values put on Blues Jrs and Ampeg Rockets have been a bit exagerrated...Ive seen $400 used on those.

If there had been some paragraphs in your post I would of read it...
I'm glad it wasn't just me. I am not the punctuation police, but a huge block of text with no breaks often will deter me from even trying to read it. Maybe I am too easily intimidated... :D

I actually read through it. My eyes hurt now.Sounds like it could be a good little amp but i'm into metal.

Unfortunately the little tidbit that it may not be for the metalheads didn't come til near the end of the post.

Sorry for the long Faulkner ramble. I was in a bit of a hurry and got carried away. Next time I will consult the proper style manual and try and stick to the 5 paragraph expository essay format. Just kiddin. I regret the long ass post b/c I may have done a disservice to a great product that has limited information in circulation. Clips really are in order as the ones (few) I have heard do not even come close to revealing the amps potential. The Emery site has some and they did little to impress but alas I had heard good things about the amp from a trusted friend so I took the plunge. Be well all. Hey GGunn! Oh I wanted to go to Austin this week. Bummer that I have been too busy to get out of town. :)

Sorry for the long Faulkner ramble. I was in a bit of a hurry and got carried away. Next time I will consult the proper style manual and try and stick to the 5 paragraph expository essay format. Just kiddin. I regret the long ass post b/c I may have done a disservice to a great product that has limited information in circulation. Clips really are in order as the ones (few) I have heard do not even come close to revealing the amps potential. The Emery site has some and they did little to impress but alas I had heard good things about the amp from a trusted friend so I took the plunge. Be well all. Hey GGunn! Oh I wanted to go to Austin this week. Bummer that I have been too busy to get out of town. :)

Dont worry about it...just hit the return every 5 or so sentaces...otherwise stuff just flows into each other.

I'm glad it wasn't just me. I am not the punctuation police, but a huge block of text with no breaks often will deter me from even trying to read it. Maybe I am too easily intimidated... :D

Hell, I WRITE like that myself, and even my eyes glazed over. All I caught was never in 30 years has the dude seen something like this.

I'm more the high-wattage type myself, but whatever.

I have what is said to be the loudest tube amp ever built...the same model that Hendrix used onstage...I cant get it to the tone I like without shaking the walls.

I care fuck-all about raw output, so long as I can keep up with a drummer - my problem is I don't know too many multi-channel high gain heads with independent channel EQ, FX loops, footswitchable solo boosts, etc that AREN'T 100 watts.

I'm kind of lucky in that my Roadster has channel-assignable wattage, so my "lead" channel is only pushing 50 watts with tube rectification for a bit more sponginess yet my rhythm channel is 100 watts and solid state rectification for a ton of headroom and low end punch (I generally play a 7), but really I've just come to terms with the fact that the kind of amp I like pretty much by its very nature comes with a lot of wattage.

I care fuck-all about raw output, so long as I can keep up with a drummer - my problem is I don't know too many multi-channel high gain heads with independent channel EQ, FX loops, footswitchable solo boosts, etc that AREN'T 100 watts.

I'm kind of lucky in that my Roadster has channel-assignable wattage, so my "lead" channel is only pushing 50 watts with tube rectification for a bit more sponginess yet my rhythm channel is 100 watts and solid state rectification for a ton of headroom and low end punch (I generally play a 7), but really I've just come to terms with the fact that the kind of amp I like pretty much by its very nature comes with a lot of wattage.

My sunn model T has a switch in back to take it from 100 watts to 25 watts...even in the low watt mode it is still a monster..twice as loud as the 300 watt flextone 3 I have...I cant record with it...ive been doing most of my work with a 5 watt tube slave and a sansamp gt2 going into a 4-12 cab.

The sound is big like that...theres something about pushing an amp past the brink that makes a small amp seem giant.

Back