using spectral analyser

Just when I said Im not buying anymore gear!

Tube,

Thanks for the link to the behringer, I like the price and what this piece will give me in my setup. I like the idea of getting that extra outboard EQ. Have you checked out the manual? Im gonna download it now...

Bruce,

Can you provide a link to the pieces that you mentioned? How do you like the one you have? How does it compare to the behringer as far as features, the display, Is it also a rackmount?

Anymore outboard spectrum analyzers to add to the pool?

Last edited:
This is one time I can clearly say that plugin analyzer have advantages over a hardware one.

The old analyzers used analog filters and basic electronics to bring it to use and it wasnt extremly accurate as as the analyzer gets older so it's reliabilty gets worse.
The ones were the hardware had to be reset ever time you used them were even worse.

The newer ones used digital boards and the even newer use DSP on them which is basicly just alike a plug in......

At least with software you get an upgrade to the newer version every now and then.

Maybe somebody mentioned this one but here it is anyhow
www.mhlabs.com
The "Spectrafoo" IMHO is the best plug in as of today.
I read somewere that NASA uses it and relies on it to analyize audio.

Excellent points Shailat! I proceeded to check out the above mentioned hardware pieces and it seems that the software counterparts are graphicly better for one, and are heavily featured. This in additon to the shortfalls you mentioned with hardware types, have steered me towards the software.

The Spectrafoo looks awesome and so far its the only "plug in" type available on any platform. All I've been able to find so far are standalones. Im on the PC platform right now, so I guess the spectrafoo is out, for the time being anyway :)

Im now kinda leaning towards the PAS and the Pinguin...with the PAS having the edge..it seems to be loaded with features and is probably comprable to the Pinguin as far as quality goes. I noticed that Bob Katz mentioned the Pinguin in one of his write ups concerning level adjustments.

Sorry for not posting, we are relocating servers and mastering studio here at CroRec :( .
But this thread is becoming useful ;) .
See you in few days.

Igor

I have not found a direct x version as of yet.

Now Igor, you wouldnt happen to be affiliated with PAS or Pinguin in any way, would yah? ;)

I've posted a coupla times about the way I use the analyzer.

I've done mixes where I was on the brink of clipping --sometimes clipping-- to get a good punchy final mix. Then I'd listen to it and it would sound all muddy and uneven despite my attention to the meters. The spectrum analyzer shows me where all my headroom is going. There might be an average amplitude across most of the frequency spectrum, but a certain area, say around 2-400Hz for example, is solely responsible for peaking the meters. Knowing this, I can back off that area a little on a graphic EQ and bring up the overall output of all frequencies because the 2-400 is no longer clipping the signal.

Works way better than compressing the shit out of the whole mix.

I am glad you all are speaking on this subject. I was wondering exactly how you effectively use the spectral analyzer (but now I know). :D

spin

I wouldnt be suprised if some of you find them in a high end stereo store used. I just got one for 30.00. sure Its an audio control but if you just use the inputs it doesnt degrade the sound any.

I use mine while mastering in Soundforge...great for helping to ID heavy / light areas because you can see them...

Back