Using Phantom Power on mini-condenser mic

meddle

Hi everyone,

Instead of purchasing two studio-condenser microphones to use with my Focusrite Saphire 6 USB soundard, I have an ideea of using two mini condenser microphones, those found in old stereo casette recorders, at $0.5 / pice :) (see attachment) but if that kind of microphone is a condenser microphone, may I use Phantom power on it, and how do I plug it to the soundcard input, how do I make the connections with TRS/canon plug? Is there any danger to broke the soundcard or something?

I used those kind of microphones directely onto microphone input of a portable MiniDisc Recorder but now want some better quality, but not investing in phantom powered microphones.

Thank you in advance for answears.

Attachments

• Electret_condenser_microphone_capsules.jpg
    Electret_condenser_microphone_capsules.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 45
Most miniature electret microphones don't use phantom power--instead they want a source of a 5 volt (or less...some just use a 1.5V battery) bias voltage.

I was about to give you the link to the Wiki article about electrets (which includes a wiring diagram) but your photo is from that Wiki page so I assume you can find it for yourself!

I'm not convinced you're going to get much, if any, improvement in quality with this project though.

Thank you Bobbsy.

Indeed, an 1.5 V battery works well in serial wiring, but always have to change battery when empty, I thought resolving this issue with phantom power :).
I'll think about getting 5V from a good source and test it. Maybe from the PC power supply, from molex.

Thanks for answearing!

I have had success by following "Method 1" from http www uneeda-audio com/pzm/pzm_ch.htm (just correct the url), and must say i like the results

No batteries needed, just phantom through XLR

Back