Using Outboard Reverb

It worked!!!

Ok, went back for another mixing session just now. (I take a break from mixing when I get frustrated by technical crap, and instead just focus on practicing and performing for a bit).
First I set it up with the clock on the v-verb set to external. Crucial. Then I hit record and I actually got a recognizable track of my voice recorded! Although the levels were messed up and also there was this hard marching in the background for some reason. I realized it was because I left on the metronome as I was painting the verb!

Anyways first I stuck a headphones into one of the analog output jacks on the verb to test it, and when I played through it with my soloed track, (using the spidf out of my macbook) I actually got a clear track played through! So the spidf does indeed work that's a major victory. This inspires to buy another spidf cable so I can take advantage of full digital.
Regarding the sound of the verb. I thought it sounded really good, but wasn't overwhelmed or anything. I still have yet mess with the settings and really get them right though, so its too late to say anything.

Alright I tested a bunch of the reverbs out. A few of them sound really great. I messed up the recording at first by picking the wrong one, which was really boxy to my ears I think it was "theater". There are other ones which sound way better. The "gold plate" is my favorite, its super dense, rich and luxurious. It beats poor plate, however I could still see myself using poor plate in some circumstances, since part of the charm is its graininess.
The compressor on the v-verb also really impressed me, it beat the hell out of my built in daw comp.

Anyone have any v-verb settings they like to use? Especially on vox.

Back