Using backing tracks live...

I felt a need to post, even though this thread's a few months old, because it contains another Rod "The Engineer" classic. :D

It's really sad when first cousins marry and re-produce. :eek:

Rod has obviously never played in a band with midi/click or if he did he had trouble keeping up :). Programming is so prevalent in the big shows with backing tracks and lighting. I played in a live band years ago when the technology was fairly new (I think we used an Atari computer) and surprisingly we never had a failure (thank God). I would definitely recommend a backup copy/player of some sort. Lots of great info/options in this thread.

Rod has obviously never played in a band with midi/click or if he did he had trouble keeping up :). Programming is so prevalent in the big shows with backing tracks and lighting. I played in a live band years ago when the technology was fairly new (I think we used an Atari computer) and surprisingly we never had a failure (thank God). I would definitely recommend a backup copy/player of some sort. Lots of great info/options in this thread.

Yeah. I played to a click track in a band with a lot of sequencers for about 2 years in the mid 80's. That's like 30 years ago. This isn't new at all.

I've been thinking of doing the back tracking as well. I've been reading about Mainstage.
Apple - Logic Pro X - MainStage 3 - Turn your Mac into a live rig.
It's an Apple product.
I'm open for suggestions. Been thinking about an audio interface that will also serve as stand alone mixer. I've also been looking at those iPad docks that have the 4 combo input and 2 output. Don't know which way to go. Would be nice to have 2 iPads to run everything but computer error is a fear.
Ideally I would like to take as little as possible and have back tracks instead of looping drums on iPad through ONSONG. I've thought about a small, quality FireWire mixer???? I've tried the $400 range Mackie USB and wasn't impressed.
I'm really confused with the direction I want to take.
I've got a Bose L1 compact and I've debated about getting the Bose Tonematch. Looks portable and could be used as audio interface???
I've tried several audio interface units in the $300 range (PRESONUS, tascam) and though they sound really good, it's a pain to get them configured and keep them that way.
I've been using my Zoom r-16 as an interface. Pretty easy to use and has all the inputs I need. Though it doesn't have the clean, crisp, clear sound that the interfaces had.
Making my list;
Something small, clean, with effects for live
Something small, easily configured and reliable for REAPER recording. Must have at least 2XLR, 2TR (combo jacks would be ideal) inputs. Would like separate volume for mix and monitoring.
I'm being told to wait and get something like an RME but, I'm not real crazy about the inputs being external wires and I'm not keen on spending $1300.00 for the next model up.

ANYONE ABLE TO HELP ME OUT WITH THIS????

"Something small, easily configured and reliable for REAPER recording. Must have at least 2XLR, 2TR (combo jacks would be ideal) inputs. Would like separate volume for mix and monitoring."

Now, I know you will all groan!....But! The Native Instruments KA6 would I am sure be ideal here?
Two mic/line/instru inputs. Two more balanced line inputs. S/PDIF and MIDI. The unit is totally bus powered and is very compact. As for reliable and stable? Nothing better till you get to RME IMHO (tis said RME had a hand in the design) .

The AI sells here for around £160 so not a big risk even if it did not fulfil the task (if you don't crack open the bundled Cubase software, resale value would be good).

Dave.

I still don't get why people want to use a full computer set up for backing tracks for small-time use. Yeah I get it for bands that want full control of lights, need a click track for the drummer, etc. But for a soloist or duo, it's just not needed. But your backing tracks on an i-device (pod, pad, phone), hook up to your sound system and you're done. Be judicious on when you use it, or you're no more than a karaoke player with a guitar.
I have a friend who uses his looper to do it, he loads the tracks into it before a show.

I still don't get why people want to use a full computer set up for backing tracks for small-time use. Yeah I get it for bands that want full control of lights, need a click track for the drummer, etc. But for a soloist or duo, it's just not needed. But your backing tracks on an i-device (pod, pad, phone), hook up to your sound system and you're done. Be judicious on when you use it, or you're no more than a karaoke player with a guitar.
I have a friend who uses his looper to do it, he loads the tracks into it before a show.

Tend to agree Mike...But the OP did ask! Personally I would use a MiniDisc player, mainly because I have two and SHEDLOADS of discs!

But iPhone? Yeah. Checkout the demo guy Steve at www.blacksatamps.com

Dave.

The only reason to use a full computer instead of an mp3 player would be if you need to feed different click tracks to different guy's in-ears.

If you can get away with only the drummer hearing the click, an mp3 player and appropriate cables/adapters is the way to go.

Akai MPC1000, even though it is designed for live remixing, it will hold a ton of stereo backing tracks. Also you can set up another track with click tracks, count in's etc and have them play through a separate output. On top of this it will sync midi both ways and you can write midi into for running drum patterns. It is eisiely connceted to a computer via USB for transferring the tracks from your software.

Oh and it is rock solid. I used one with my last band for as a live sequencer, running the drum loops, setting the on stage keyboard settings (via midi) and playing samples.

Secondhand prices now make it affordable.

Alan.

Akai MPC1000, even though it is designed for live remixing, it will hold a ton of stereo backing tracks. Also you can set up another track with click tracks, count in's etc and have them play through a separate output. On top of this it will sync midi both ways and you can write midi into for running drum patterns. It is eisiely connceted to a computer via USB for transferring the tracks from your software.

Oh and it is rock solid. I used one with my last band for as a live sequencer, running the drum loops, setting the on stage keyboard settings (via midi) and playing samples.

Alan.

And wait, there's more! If you have a midi controllable light mixer and/or DMX controlled lights, the midi can also run your light show, fog lights, etc.
AND THERE'S STILL MORE!!! It has USB connectivity so you can import and export sounds/midi sequences. It has SPDIF in and out for MORE connectivity.
You can have all this for just $600-700 (although I did see one on MusicGoRound for $170...)
What are you waiting for? Get yours NOW. Ronco dice-o-matic not included. All sales final. This offer may not be available in Puerto Rico and other places according to local laws.

Alan.

Ooooh, good idea. Never thought of that. I had my drummer looking into some of the sample pad units made by Roland but I have used the MPC3000 before and really liked it. And, the pads are big enough that my drummer could easily trigger the samples/backing tracks by hitting one of the pads wif his sticks.

I assume I could do the same thing with the MPC3000 as I could with the MPC1000, correct?

Back