Using an insert as a direct out, advice on cable

cordura21

Hey guys. I have a Yamaha mixer and want to get a direct out from the insert point, without loosing the signal on the channel strip. The manual says that:
Tip: Output
Ring: Input
Sleeve: Ground

So what kind of cable I need to make, and how should I use it (1 click, 2 clicks) ? WHat kind of plug should I use at the insert point, TS or TRS?

Thanks, Andrés

I don't know about Yamaha mixers, but many Mackie mixers let you use the insert as a direct out if you just have a standard mono 1/4 plug. Put the plug in the insert up to the first "click" (halfway in) and it becomes a direct out. If you put the plug in all the way it takes the sound out of the mixer channel strip, so don't do that.

Again, this is Mackie.....I don't know about Yamaha but the convention makes sense so there's a chance other manufacturers use it.

i have a eurodesk2442 mx and there is a diagram in the manual that shows how to build a cable that will allow an insert to be used as a direct out with full channel strip control. the only problem is i cant find my manual and i think it was in german to boot!

Thanks for the replies.
It looks like when the Insert is Tip/Send-Ring Return, a mono cable is the way to go.

Andrés

Can you solder? Make a cable with a mono 1/4" jack on one side and a stereo jack on the other side. Solder the wire to both the tip and ring and voila, a perfect solution.

You can use the insert as a direct out and the channel will keep the signal.

you're right but it looks like too much work. In the end you'll end up with the funcionality of a mono cable with an extra conductor.

It'd be great if you could have a cable that coould short the T and R with a cap or something like that. That way you won't need one pair of cables to do direct out, and another set for do inserts.

You can get a patchbay and make it work. You need to get a stereo 1/4 cable and a "Y" (female stereo to dual mono cable) Plug the dual mono cable into you patchbay and set the routing to send the signal back trough the other end. Then plug the stereo cable into your insert points and the other end to the female side of the "Y"

Hosa makes the Y cable you need look here -
http://www.hosatech.com/hosa/products/ypp-136.html

I use a Behringer patchbay

You can get a patchbay and make it work. You need to get a stereo 1/4 cable and a "Y" (female stereo to dual mono cable) Plug the dual mono cable into you patchbay and set the routing to send the signal back trough the other end. Then plug the stereo cable into your insert points and the other end to the female side of the "Y"

Hosa makes the Y cable you need look here -
http://www.hosatech.com/hosa/products/ypp-136.html

I use a Behringer patchbay

Back