Using a Tascam 388 and Teac 80-8 together?

Chip Whitley

Hi all, I just got a Teac 80-8 off of my friend, and it doesn't have a board with it, it's just the reel to reel console. I also have a tascam 388, and I was curious if there's any way to use the mixer section of the 388 to operate the 80-8?

If that's not possible, what would be my best mixer option to pair with the 80-8? My only real tape experience is with the 388, so any help with knowledge on this machine would be a great help to me. Thanks,
Regards, Chip.

Hi all, I just got a Teac 80-8 off of my friend, and it doesn't have a board with it, it's just the reel to reel console. I also have a tascam 388, and I was curious if there's any way to use the mixer section of the 388 to operate the 80-8?

If that's not possible, what would be my best mixer option to pair with the 80-8? My only real tape experience is with the 388, so any help with knowledge on this machine would be a great help to me. Thanks,
Regards, Chip.

I don't see why not?
The 388 has direct outs right?
Get yourself the right cables for the job,...rca to rca snake, rca to 1/4 snake, etc.(can't remember what type of in & outs the 80-8 has).
Just use the mixer section of the 388 with the 80-8.
Is your 388 not fully functionable?...or do you just want to track to 1/2 inch tape?

Yes the 388 has the RCA direct outs for each channel. I was assuming that it was possible, I just wasn't 100% sure how. I can understand running the direct outs from the 388 to the 80-8, and that would get the signal to the 1/2 inch, but what would I do to route the signal back to the 388 mixer for adjustment on playback? Would I have to switch cables around everytime I want to listen back and tweak something? Or just run a RCA to 1/4 from the output of a channel on the 80-8 to the line in on the 388?

And the 388 is fully functional, I just want to try tracking to 1/2 inch.

Or just run a RCA to 1/4 from the output of a channel on the 80-8 to the line in on the 388?
I would say that would be an option,...or maybe use aux inputs?
You may get a better answer from a 388 owner on here,..
I do not own one yet,..but will soon. (next month)

Maybe keep an eye out for a small 8 channel TEAC mixer.
I see them listed cheap all the time.

If that is not in your budget at the moment...
I'm pretty sure there's a way around this.
There are plenty of good people on here that own the 388, that may be able to help you a little better than I can...with the setup you have. You just may have to purchase a couple more cables.
I would also think the mixer section/preamps from the 388 would pair nicely with the 80-8.
I would like to hear the results myself.

Vessel, I thank you for your help, but I've found the answer to my problem, in my 388 user manual of all places, if you can believe that!
I've been on the road and finally got home and checked my manual for the 388 and theres an entire panel on the back for just this situation. It's the PGM In's and Out's. I'll be sure to post some material of stuff I've done with the 2 units when it's done. Thanks again!
Chip

Vessel, I thank you for your help, but I've found the answer to my problem, in my 388 user manual of all places, if you can believe that!
I've been on the road and finally got home and checked my manual for the 388 and theres an entire panel on the back for just this situation. It's the PGM In's and Out's. I'll be sure to post some material of stuff I've done with the 2 units when it's done. Thanks again!
Chip

Ahhhhh The manual!
Always good to have around!:rolleyes::p;)
Right on,...I hope you get to where you wanna go with your setup.
Keep us posted on how you made out.

Hi

I found that a member asked same question in this forum some months ago.

Pls use search box to find this questions with comments

Hi

I found that a member asked same question in this forum some months ago.

Pls use search box to find this questions with comments

Hambim336, suggestion: how about you let a forum moderator express such admonitions if they are to be expressed?

Seems those of us replying don't mind the questions regardless of whether or not they've been asked before.

Chip, yes, as the manual states you use the PGM ins and outs, but be careful what monitor mode you have tracks set to on the 80-8 because you can get a feedback loop that will toast stuff.

Sweetbeats, I really appreciate the tip. Out of curiousity, is there any specific scenario that would toast my stuff? What monitor mode should I use, and what should I stay away from?

Last edited:
Because the PGM BUSS IN and PGM OUT jacks are not isolated from each other, you can get a feedback loop when a tape track is set to monitor the input on the tape machine. That means a signal goes out, say, the PGM 1 OUT jack to 80-8 input jack #1, and if you have that tape deck channel set to monitor that input then that signal will be present at the output jack also. If you have the 80-8 output jack #1 donnected to 388 PGM BUSS 1 IN jack, that goes direct to the PGM 1 OUT jack and around and around we go. Bad.

The safest thing to do would be to have the 80-8 outputs connected to a patchbay with the LINE IN jacks...that way you could patch other line level sources to LINE IN jacks during tracking, patch in 80-8 track outputs as needed for overdubs, and then run all 80-8 outputs to corresponding 388 mixer LINE INs for mixdown time. This would reduce the risk of a debilitating feedback loop.

Back