Using A Direct Box From A Guitar Amp Live?

Most passive DIs with pad switches can be used in parallel with the speaker without any problem. Just be careful to make sure that the speaker itself is properly connected before cranking it up because tube amps kind of hate trying to drive an open circuit.

Yes, this gets you all of the power tube and output transformer goodness. It doesnt get you any of the speaker breakup that might happen when you push them but that's honestly usually a pretty subtle factor. What is far (FAR) more important is the frequency response of the speaker/cab combination. Probably the most important part is the steep low-pass action that usually starts around 4-5K, with the high pass and mid weirdness being somewhat less important, but still kind of critical to the character of the amp. Without the low-pass it'll sound like fizzy, spitty, DI ass. The EQ on the board that you're plugging into probably doesn't have a good way to emulate that. Most knobs marked treble are voiced too high. Worse yet, this puts even more of your tone in the hands of some random dude who possibly doesn't understand and probably doesn't much care what you're going for.

I am going to be purchasing a Behringer Ultra-DI DI600P. I will be using this to DI into my mixer to my mac for recording, on top of micing the guitar cab. So the situation will be similar to what ghetto3jon is asking, just won't be done in a live situation. I'll let you know how it goes when i've tested it out! :)

Why not get the Behringer Ultra-G direct box? It has a usable 4x12 cab sim that can be switched on or off.

Check out the H&K Red Box 5. It is designed to take speaker out (up to 100W) and provides mic/line level and a place to plug your cab in.

Back