Help me get my direct guitar sound a bit more realistic sounding

It may sound like sacrilege, but I'm actually doing something similar at the moment. I have a speaker cab in a closet but it's surrounded by quilts and blankets (again trying to keep the wife and kid from going nuts).
It actually doesn't sound horrible, but it's still fairly loud. My original post really emphasized the need to record as silently as possible so I can track at midnight without waking them up. Even my blanket-mummified cab in a closet is still too loud for them to sleep (sound goes everywhere in this house).
What kind of mic is that you're using on the fender amp, by the way?

It may sound like sacrilege, but I'm actually doing something similar at the moment. I have a speaker cab in a closet but it's surrounded by quilts and blankets (again trying to keep the wife and kid from going nuts).
It actually doesn't sound horrible, but it's still fairly loud. My original post really emphasized the need to record as silently as possible so I can track at midnight without waking them up. Even my blanket-mummified cab in a closet is still too loud for them to sleep (sound goes everywhere in this house).
What kind of mic is that you're using on the fender amp, by the way?

You can also consider one of the Weber MiniMass attenuator/load boxes....they have a line out....so you feed you amp head to the Weber sans cab. The Weber attenuators have a real speaker motor, so it will get you most of that amp/cab vibe without the cab/room volume if you turn it down to zero, since it becomes just a dummy load for the amp....but, you can also use the attenuator for other situations when you want the amp/cab volume, but at a lower level or to drive the power tubes harder.

I have a few of them, a couple of 50W and a couple of 25W.....simply so I could leave them hooked up to a given amp and not have to keep swapping with other amps. That said, these days I'm, back to just driving the amps harder without any attenuator, and yeah, it's loud, and yeah, I wear headphones so I don't blow out my ears....and yeah, I don't have any issues with loud playing (no one complains).....but they are handy and they work very well.

https://taweber.powweb.com/weber/minimass.htm

The mic I'm using is a Cascade Fat Head II ribbon.

The amp is not a Fender, it's a Tungsten Crème-Cortez amp....which is basically a 5E3 circuit, but mine was modified a bit to my taste by the builder. He builds a standard Cortez, which is a more pure 5E3 circuit, and then he also builds a Crema Wheat, which is the 5E3 but with way more headroom and kick.
Mine is a combination of the two, hence the "Crème-Cortez" monicker...:)...so it's a one-off build he did for me. More headroom than the Cortez, but not as much as the Crema Wheat...plus he set up one of the inputs for humbuckers, since that's what I play mostly.
The guy builds some nice amps, and for tweed Fender knockoffs, he's considered one of the top three builders....right up with Victoria and Clark.

TUNGSTEN Amplification - Main

I've sang in vocal "booths" that are a lot smaller than the closet in my bedroom (or even the small walkin in the guest room...) Miroslav beat me to the punch on the load box. Running a 50w Marshall through an attenuator damped down to 10w or even 5w makes it quite a bit better for midnight recording and the sound is not far off of the real volume. And of course, like he said, you can use the direct out.... Can you try to schedule some recording time in the daytime so you can actually put up some makeshift treatment and record live? That would be my first choice. Take a day off from work when nobody else will be home and slam it home! :guitar:

I've sang in vocal "booths" that are a lot smaller than the closet in my bedroom (or even the small walkin in the guest room...) Miroslav beat me to the punch on the load box. Running a 50w Marshall through an attenuator damped down to 10w or even 5w makes it quite a bit better for midnight recording and the sound is not far off of the real volume. And of course, like he said, you can use the direct out.... Can you try to schedule some recording time in the daytime so you can actually put up some makeshift treatment and record live? That would be my first choice. Take a day off from work when nobody else will be home and slam it home! :guitar:

yes, i mentioned the attenuator too, but i can see how you would have missed that one....

I do need to try using my attenuator along with mummifying the amp in the closet. I have to admit I didn't try that cause I just assumed the amp attenuated that low wouldn't sound good.

Back