Used LP or New Burns Brian May Red Special?

bbZ

Already have a hot SG. Have $800. What do you think? Used LP? New Burns? Maybe those new Jacksons???

If you are looking for Les Paul tone, check out the Ibanez Artists. The good ones were made in the late 70s and early 80s. Talk about a quality guitar! I know people tend to bash Jap guitars, but I've yet to play a Les Paul that was obviously "higher-quality" than my two Artists (I have an 1981 and 1982). Binding, nice hardware, shielding, nice wood, nice finishes-- everything you would expect in high-quality guitar. In fact, the extensive shielding alone speaks to the quality of these axes.

But, of course, the tone is what matters. They sound and feel just like a Les Paul. I've played many LPs in my time and none of them has felt or sounded superior to my Artists. Plus, they have the symmetrical double-cutaway which I think looks way cool.

The best part is you can get a really nice Artist for $500 or less on Ebay. I got one with a beautiful sunburst finish and tiger stripes for $350 on Ebay (practically stole it from the guy). So you could have LP tone and still have money left over for a new mic or two.

I would be a little wary of the new "reissue" Artists they started making a few years ago. I checked one out and I'm not convinced the quality is as good as the old models. One major thing I noticed was the new Artists feel much lighter (lesser quality mohagany? I dunno).

Check this one out for an example (sweet guitar):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3704139007&category=33043

Scottgman - I looked at a couple Artists on Ebay - one seller with a '77 and a '78 described them as having a 3 piece maple set neck - is that correct, or is it mahogany?

Major Tom said:
Scottgman - I looked at a couple Artists on Ebay - one seller with a '77 and a '78 described them as having a 3 piece maple set neck - is that correct, or is it mahogany?

Ground Control to Major Tom:

My sunburst appears to be a three piece set neck but I don't know if it's maple. There is a small paint chip in the neck on my other one and the wood underneath it looks fairly dark... not like maple. But I can't really tell if it's dark from dirt, oil, etc. The body is definitely mahogany! These things weigh 20lbs!

I have seen neck thru models also. They had several different lines of Artists and some transitional models like this Musician/Artist :

Attachments

• ibanez musician_artist.jpeg
    ibanez musician_artist.jpeg
    10.2 KB · Views: 47
Thanks, I would like to have one of those Artist models, I had the GAS for them pretty bad when they were new (yeah, I'm old). $350 is a steal for a guitar of that caliber. I also kinda like the Yamaha double cuts of the same era...

Back