Use computer sound system with audio interface

toleolu

Sorry for the newbie post, I know the answer is here somewhere, just sometimes it's easier to ask, so please forgive me for asking again.

Real quick, a guy I work with has a Prosonus Mobile Firebox that he wants to sell. Is there a way to hook that up so that I can play my electric and acoustic guitar through my computer sound system?? I see it has output for monitor speakers, but I was hoping to use my computer more or less as an amp, in addition to recording of course. I have a 75 watt surround sound system on my computer with an Asus Xonar D1 sound card.

Thanks for indulging another newb.:)

Conceivably yes, you could run it through the interface and then audio software like Reaper or sth. It's a bit of a convoluted way of doing it though, and it's possible that (depending on your computer) there may be too much latency to play like this. I.e. it takes too long for the computer to process the incoming signal and then spit it out the other end to your speakers, so there's a delay between you strumming and the sound coming out the speakers. It's very difficult to play with if that's the case.

Depends on your computer.

As a stand alone line level converter? Probably not, you need the firewire bus power to power the unit at a minimum. Which means that the computer has to be turned on and connected.

Thanks, kinda what I thought. I built a gaming computer a month or so back, so horsepower is not the issue, was just hoping that the Prosonus software did some kind of analog in to analog out via the firewire so I wouldn't have that analog to digital conversion latency. No worries though, think I'll still get the Prosonus box cause it looks like it'll handle what little bit I need to do. Plenty of good used amps on CraigsList.

By the way, I've been doing computers for about 30 years, be happy to exchange hardware/software assistance for the many newb recording questions I'm sure to post down the road.

Thanks again.

Back