Usb-pci

brtaln1

I am wanting to move into computer based recording, moving on from the Boss BR-8 that I currently use.I have seen a lot of disscussion between using PCI and USB connections. If a person was only going to record a few tracks at a time, is the diffrence between the two interfaces, sound wise, really that diffrent?

I've found that latency really became an issue even with my 4/4 M-audio Quattro running just two in and two out simultaneously. I returned it, doubled the money out of pocket and invested in a M-Audio Delta 1010 (pci-based) and I couldn't be happier with the results. If you're only looking for several tracks at one time, check out the Delta 44 (or 66 if you need S/PDIF in/out). For the same price of a lot of USB 4/4 cards you get the PCI interface, which I think improves speed and causes less hassles.

That's my personal opinion.

Christiaan is right, strictly speaking about sound quality, but I think ease of opperation and latency issues should be taken into account as well when purchasing a sound card like this.

Erik713 said:
I've found that latency really became an issue even with my 4/4 M-audio Quattro running just two in and two out simultaneously. I returned it, doubled the money out of pocket and invested in a M-Audio Delta 1010 (pci-based) and I couldn't be happier with the results. If you're only looking for several tracks at one time, check out the Delta 44 (or 66 if you need S/PDIF in/out). For the same price of a lot of USB 4/4 cards you get the PCI interface, which I think improves speed and causes less hassles.

That's my personal opinion.

Christiaan is right, strictly speaking about sound quality, but I think ease of opperation and latency issues should be taken into account as well when purchasing a sound card like this.
I agree Eric.

USB can cause a bit of a lag on some machines. PCI is my prefference.

I'm with Eric713 on this...

Just seemed like an endless computer trouble shooting experience...my time availability is short to begin with...when I get a little time to work out some tunes, I just seemed to get bogged down.

IMHO, the PCI is the only way to go...there are lots of quality/inexpensive options...my personal favorite for middle of the road (bang for the buck) is the Delta1010 LT..you get multi I/O's and midi connections...but, there are lots of others, just check around.

Back