Usb mic that doesnt pick up ambient noise.

Abnormalweeny

I own the blue snowball but want an upgrade what usb mic should i get that wont pick up background noise?
Mayne the at2020 or the yeti?

The trouble you're going to have is that, as mics get better, unless you go for a dynamic, they're probably more sensitive to background noise rather than less. Think of it logically: the better the mic, the more detail it can render and it doesn't care whether that detail is what you want to record or ambient stuff you don't want.

Some people on this forum are fans of big dynamics like the EV RE20 or the Shure SM7B. I'm not such a fan--I prefer the clarity and detail of condenser mics but maybe they would work for you. Unfortunately, I don't know of a USB version of any of the good large dynamics.

All this is yet another reason why I strongly recommend going with a proper external USB interface (of which there are tons at every price point) rather than getting stuck in the dead end street that is USB mics. Once you have an interface, you can use ANY mic that seems suitable to you rather than just the limited selection of USB mics.

So...two alternative suggestions for you:

1. Buy a USB external interface (I like the M Audio Mobile Pre but there are tons) and try an EV RE20.

2. Keep your existing mic for now and deal with the acoustics problem causing your background noise. This could be with full room treatment (see the relevant forum) or maybe just buying an sE Reflexion Filter to go with your mic--the work extremely well. Or--a solution I've used many times--build a folding framework of plastic pipes (available from any DIY shop, put them behind you when you record and cover them with thick moving blankets or duvets.

Condenser mics pick up ambient noise. They are sensitive by definition.

You have to reduce the noise in your home studio (that's why big companies spend million$ to build studios...)

Dynamics are a bit better. But your SPACE is 80% of your sound and you need to do what you can about it.

As bobbsy suggested, you'd be better off selling the usb mic (they are really for podcasting) and getting a regular usb interface and regular mics.

Microphones are built to pick up sound. Better mics pick up more sound, and render it more accurately. Ultimately, until you can tag that ambient sound and train the mic to recognize it as noise, instead of the source, the only realistic way to get rid of noise is to find a place to work that's quieter. You can EQ out some noise, if it has a fairly consistent frequency range that isn't prominent in the source, like low frequency rumble from a fridge, but fixing noise afterwards is simply inferior to not recording it in the first place.

That said, condenser mics aren't necessarily more sensitive than dynamics. They do, however, have generally higher output. With any mic, it will help to record the signal at a lower gain level, say, peaks at -12db, and then boost it in post-production (in the box). The hotter your initial signal is, the worse that ambient noise will be. So- turn it down. Then use software to bring it back up. Good luck.

Both are cardioid condensers (and neither seem to publish sensitivity specs, though I only had moments to search before I have to go out) so they should be roughly similiar. However, the Snowball has a sensitivity setting that the AT doesn't so it depends on whether you use that.

I think it should be said that the AT2020 is another economy level mic so it's not necessarily an upgrade from what you have. It'll likely sound a bit different (since all mics have their own characteristics) but it'll be down to your own subjective judgement whether it's better, worse or just different. It's suitability will depend on what you're recording.

Back