USB is dead?

Dr Biscuits

Hey all - I tried posting this down in MIDI mania, but this is probably the better forum.... sorry for the double post...

I'm pretty sure I'm dealing with a hardware issue here, but just wanted to see if anyone had a similar problem...

I've been using a M-Audio Radium 61 keyboard via USB for about a year, no problem... today, out of the blue (no system changes) neither Windows nor any software sees it anymore - it doesn't even show up on the device manager.
It still recieves power via USB, it just isn't recognized at all.... :confused:
I've tried alternate USB ports/cables (direct to MoB, no hub).
The MIDI out still works fine.

Anyone have this happen? Sound like a hardware issue with the USB out on the keyboard?
Thanks!

Try disconnection the Radium, completely uninstalling the radium drivers, rebooting, reinstalling the Radium drivers, and then finally reconnecting the keyboard. The USB ports will send out power even if the device is not recognized. It's possible that something corrupted the drivers, preventing the Radium from being recognized, regardless of what port it is on.

Thanks sile - unfortunately, that doesn't work either, and the keyboard isn't showing up at all, even as an "unrecognized device" in the device manager... and I just tried it on a different machine with the same problem.
I've decided just to use the MIDI out, which is fine... it must be a hardware issue, and as long as the MIDI out holds up, it'll be ok...

Dr Biscuits said:
Thanks sile - unfortunately, that doesn't work either, and the keyboard isn't showing up at all, even as an "unrecognized device" in the device manager... and I just tried it on a different machine with the same problem.
I've decided just to use the MIDI out, which is fine... it must be a hardware issue, and as long as the MIDI out holds up, it'll be ok...

Try a different cable just in case.

Ya unfortunately no-go... from all the testing I've done, the problem definitely is in the keyboard unit itself (whether its physical or firmware, I don't know...).
I guess it's just a sign of the disposable times - why *would* I even want a piece of electronic gear thats over a year old anyway?!?! ;)
Well the MIDI still works, so I'm not off to Long & McQuade just yet...

Check your Windows control panel / Sounds & Audio settings to check that you have your midi output device assigned correctly.

it does have to do with your hardware, I have a emu x-board, the usb and drivers suck ass and it never came with a good wallwort... I had to buy one at walmart...
I hate using midi devices via usb, serial cables all the way lol

Back