Upgrading to a Firebox from an M Audio Fastracks USB.

zenpeace69

Am I going to see a big difference in sound quality? One of the reasons I am leaving the Fasttracks is that it has inputs on the back and controls on the front. It's kind of a pain working with it and swapping inputs, changing controls, and recording different tracks. Everything up front will be much more easy. To be honest, though, the sound is what I am hoping to upgrade most. I bought a refurbished Firebox from MF for $250 bucks. That's a $150 more than the fast track so I am hoping there will be some improvement over the sound of the preamps, I suppose.

In what way was it refurbished?

The Firebox uses the same preamps as the Firepod, which is quite an expensive unit.

Though the extra money is probably all in the extra i/o's I still think that the quality is good.

But be warned, I myself have nothing to compare to apart from an SBlive that I recorded 99% of my stuff on.

You know, I am not sure where Presonus gets the units to refurb, but they are sending a shipment of refurbs to MF this week. They are $50 bucks cheaper than usual. Same warranty.

i imagine you will notice a difference once you start piling up the tracks. plus, like you said, it will be much easier to work with. the more comfortable you are with a unit the more comfortable you'll be with recording and experimenting.

250 for refurbished?? I got my firebox a few weeks ago at my local guitar center for 250, brand new on sale. Anyways...... i cant say if it would be better than the fast track cuz i never used it, but i think you would definitely be upgrading since the firebox is firewire, and allows for up to 6 simultaneous recording inputs. I think the sound is good quality to make decent home recordings, but i have noticed that the preamps arent the greatest when trying to record acoustic guitar. The levels seem pretty low. But when recording vocals, or even running a guitar direct (since it does have that capability), the sound is pretty decent. No complaints here. I also didnt have to download any new drivers, it was pretty much plug in and go. Very stable so far :)

My friend has that fasttrack, and it sucks ass. It was VERY disappointing after purchase & using it for a while. I think you will notice a good increase in quality of the sound. For 1 the fast track didn't have a preamp I dont' think. It was just an input, nothing else.

Back