Upgrading my mac

lomky

Please keep this thread on topic:

I need to upgrade my aging g4 933. I have some extra cash coming in (not much, but...). So I am basically looking at buying a used model. Now I haven't been keeping up with all the changes lately. PCIx, PCI express, Intel, etc. So I'm looking for some suggestions for good older G5 models. I would like to keep it under $1500 cdn or so, I could go up to $2000. I'm going to have to upgrade to Cubase 4 and some of my plug-ins. I'm running an Audiofire12 so PCI is not an issue at the moment. I just want to get another workstation that has lasted me as long as my trusty 933.

I'm not looking at going PC, I just like mac's, allways used them, like the OS, etc. So please do not suggest getting a PC for half the price. Thanks

I suggest going with an Intel Mac. You will have to upgrade your plugins, but the computers are very fast.

So are the intel ones called the mac pro? I think the only intel models are the current ones. I don't think there is any way I would get one for under $2000.

lomky said:
So are the intel ones called the mac pro? I think the only intel models are the current ones. I don't think there is any way I would get one for under $2000.

You might if you time it correctly. Wait for the next model upgrade, then get a refurb. Right now, the only refurbs are the 8-core beasts, but there's usually a good spread whenever a new model is released.

Also, if slots aren't a requirement, you might consider the iMac. New ones are under $2k, and refurbs are easily under $1k (U.S. prices, but that's close enough).

hmm, interesting. I never really considered the imacs. I usually buy one generation back to save money, and it has worked well for me so far.

lomky said:
hmm, interesting. I never really considered the imacs. I usually buy one generation back to save money, and it has worked well for me so far.

Even an Intel Mac Mini would run laps around your G4 at this point. I use Logic Express 7.2 on an Intel Mac Mini w/ 1.66 CoreDuo and 1Gb of RAM connected to an Onyx 1220 with Firwire card. Everything runs great. $599 new (a 1Gb RAM upgrade would cost you $150 more).

Yeah I know, that's why I'm upgrading.

To be honest, I'm getting pretty high track counts w/ comps and eq's and such w/ my G4

I've allways been of the if it ain't broke don't fix it school. Now it's getting broke.

brzilian said:
Even an Intel Mac Mini would run laps around your G4 at this point. I use Logic Express 7.2 on an Intel Mac Mini w/ 1.66 CoreDuo and 1Gb of RAM connected to an Onyx 1220 with Firwire card. Everything runs great. $599 new (a 1Gb RAM upgrade would cost you $150 more).

These days, I'd push towards the iMac over the Mini unless you just really have to get the absolute cheapest Mac you can find. The laptop HD makes the Mini a less ideal choice, and by the time you bump it to a similar amount of HD space and the top CPU speed, it costs as much as an equivalent iMac but has no display, keyboard, or mouse. :D

Thus, while the Mac Mini is cheaper than the iMac, it isn't anywhere near as good a value. It also is still a Core Duo, while the iMac is a Core 2 Duo (64-bit-capable). That might be valuable to you someday.

ridgeback said:
What specifically is going broke? 933 should hold just fine if your RAM is good and OS is clean.

Unless you're pouring on tons of effects, of course.

Imac 24 firewire 400/800

lomky said:

Just a note the imac 24 inch is the only one with a firewire 800 port and a 400 port

the other sizes just have 2 firewire 400 ports

If you don't need a PCIe slot, the iMac would be a good option for under $2,000. I'd take that any day over an older G5.

I do *love* my Mac Pro though, great computer.

ridgeback said:
What specifically is going broke? 933 should hold just fine if your RAM is good and OS is clean.

Nothing is exactly broke. It's just that I will start to get CPU peaks when I'm doing high track counts. I just had a decent profit share so I thought a newer mac would be cool.

So not much love for the PowerPC G5's?

lomky said:
So not much love for the PowerPC G5's?

Nope.

Very noisy and run too hot.

The last real reason to hold on to a G5 was if you were running Photoshop, but now that CS3 is out, that is not an issue.

brzilian said:
Nope.

The last real reason to hold on to a G5 was if you were running Photoshop, but now that CS3 is out, that is not an issue.

I second that.

And Third it.

brzilian said:
Nope.

There's one other reason. With the quad G5, you can have the "wow" factor of being able to say that you have a 1kW power supply in your computer! :D :eek: :D

The new intel macs are so quiet it's amazing. My Mac Pro is sitting out open on the floor and the sound of the hard drives accessing is much louder than the fans. It's whisper quiet.

Looks like I got some saving to do. Shouldn't have bought a coffe this morning..

Anyone gotta mac pro intel for sale??

Back