Upgrading a 4x12 piecemeal

Re-issue dude, as those are the most expensive speakers I have, I just couldn't swing some of the crazy amounts that the originals go for. Plus, my speakers were bought new, so there's no guessing about how they've been treated, how long they'll last, etc...I know these original speakers can be had at a decent price, but I'd honestly be really wary of 'em for the reasons I mentioned, especially buying online....

I lucked out back in the 80s when I bought my Marshall 4x12 cab dirt cheap. It had 2x G12H30 55hZ blackbacks from 1978 and 2x G1265 from 1982. Recently I lucked out again and snagged 2 more G12H30 55HZ blackbacks also from 1978 that some guy had stored in his closet for decades. My Marshall cab is now back to it's original configuration.

I lucked out back in the 80s when I bought my Marshall 4x12 cab dirt cheap. It had 2x G12H30 55hZ blackbacks from 1978 and 2x G1265 from 1982. Recently I lucked out again and snagged 2 more G12H30 55HZ blackbacks also from 1978 that some guy had stored in his closet for decades. My Marshall cab is now back to it's original configuration.

Nice man, I like the G12H I've got, it's a good speaker. It took a while to break in, but it just gets better with time IMO...If I could find some good speakers locally, that'd be a lot different than buying 'em online, but where I live, most folks don't even know what Celestion is, much less the difference between the good/bad ones...

Eventually, I'll get another cab, & match my speakers up, but that'll be on down the road a ways...A little at a time...:).

I've got four Oct/Nov 81 G12-65s out of a JCM 800 B cab. They're pretty killer.

Yes they are pretty kick ass. Are yours the 8 or 16 ohm version? Mine are the 8 ohm version and finding another pair of those is like searching for big foot.

I've got four Oct/Nov 81 G12-65s out of a JCM 800 B cab. They're pretty killer.

I remember when you got those, because I immediately asked to buy one for my ISO cab...Of course you told me no, so I ended up buying a new one. Great speakers, or the new, re-issue that I have is. I'm betting the originals (that have been taken care of) kick some serious ass...

The one I've got is similar to my Greenback (which is China made btw), but with a little different top end, & it's mid-voicing is a little different. The lows kinda flub like a GB does, but you have to push it a little harder to get it there, or that's my experience with 'em anyway...

Yes they are pretty kick ass. Are yours the 8 or 16 ohm version? Mine are the 8 ohm version and finding another pair of those is like searching for big foot.

Mine are 16 ohm. All from the same cab.

Currently, two of them are x-patterned with some pre-china UK made Greenback reissues in a 1960A cab. This is my A-1 favorite cab by a mile.

The other two 65s are x-patterned with some late 80s G12T-75s in a B cab. This cab is pretty good.

My third cab is a V30/G12T-75 x-pattern B cab.

I'm thinking I wanna put the 65s all back into one cab, get more Greenbacks for the A cab, and get some G12Hs for the V30 cab, and ditch the 75s all together.

I'm thinking I wanna put the 65s all back into one cab, get more Greenbacks for the A cab, and get some G12Hs for the V30 cab, and ditch the 75s all together.

Yep, I bet all 3 of those cabs would sound great dude. The V30/G12H might be a little mid-heavy, but you could probably dial some of it back with your amp's eq...

I want a B cab, I found one with V30's for $500, about an hour or so away.

Not sure I'd want an all V30 cab, but it'd be a start to move away from the bastard cab...:D.

Back