upgrade 788

SMITHKI

HEY GUY,WOULD YOU CLEAR UP FOR ME WHAT I NEED TO DO TO UPGRADE TO 2.02.I AM CURRENTLY SHOWING ON MY MACHINE 1.10.DOES THAT MEAN THAT I CAN UPGRADE WITH THE CDROM?ALSO IF I WAS TO GO TO A BIGGER INTERNAL HARD DRIVE WHAT WOULD YOU RECOMMEND?THANKS FOR YOUR HELP

Yes you can upgrade with the CDR.
Here is the Tascam 788 FAQ page for instructions and other stuff:http://www.tascamcontractor.com/788_files/FAQs/index.html
That site also has HD installation info. As to what drives would be good? I've got Western Digital 80 gig and it works fine. Some people find the larger drives to run too hot and therefore choose a smaller drive like 40 or 60 gigs. A lot seem to like the Seagate drives.

Here is an excellent site for comparing drives: http://www.storagereview.com/comparison.html
When you get there, click on the button just above "sort". choose either "net drive temperature", or "idle noise", or whatever is important to you. The click "sort".

I just upgraded from 1.05 so I had to put in the new chip. $29 plus a $25 deposit till they get the old one back. It's the second time I've done it, first was from 1.02 to 1.05 and it's real easy. I order Wed. and got it yesterday, can't get any faster than that for UPS.

For a hard drive I order a 60 gig Hitachi from computergeeks. I think it was $68. We'll see how it does.

You know, at these prices for hard drives it might just be worth keeping projects on it till it fills up and then plug a new one in and not go with that slow back up to CD's.....something I don't do anyway.

788 upgrade

I just attempted to upgrade the Tascam 788 software as well as the hard drive while I was at it and am having serious problems. I replaced the chip, put in a Western digital IDA 40 gig hard drive, and when I turned on the 788, the display light went on, and nothing else. About thirty seconds or so later, the hard drive started to whir, but nothing on the display but a lit, blank screen.
Fearing the worst, I re-installed the original drive, and still no luck. Has anyone experienced something like this?
Thanks.

Re: 788 upgrade

Alan Bartlett said:
I just attempted to upgrade the Tascam 788 software as well as the hard drive while I was at it and am having serious problems. I replaced the chip, put in a Western digital IDA 40 gig hard drive, and when I turned on the 788, the display light went on, and nothing else. About thirty seconds or so later, the hard drive started to whir, but nothing on the display but a lit, blank screen.
Fearing the worst, I re-installed the original drive, and still no luck. Has anyone experienced something like this?
Thanks.

Try putting the old chip and drive back in and see what happens. Then just change the chip, then the drive.

Also, make sure the chip is in right way and that the dot on it is in the right place and that the frame that holds it in locks with a 'click'.

Back