umc202HD input not reading, can some one see if I have the wrong connector?

vincentllyu

Hi All, I'm using this audio interface to do an Active noise cancelation project. Its output is fine but it doesn't recognize my mic. Is it because I'm using the wrong connector type? I'm very new to this field and knows nothing about the type of connectors.
I'm trying to use this mic*2 here, on this audio interface.
From what I googled, what I have is a "1/4-inch Balanced Jack (Or Stereo Jack) Connector", and what I gathered is that the interface only accepts "1/4-inch (Quarter-Inch) Jack Connector (Phone jack)". But on the documentation here, it only says XLR / 1/4" input. I bought this 2nd hand and am wondering if this interface is defective. Can someone confirm that I have the wrong connector?

edit; More info on what I tried. I saw the driver issue post, and I have uninstalled the windows driver and downloaded one from the official website, which didn't work. So I switched to Ubuntu 20.04 and the issue remains. That's when I started looking into the connectors, which I know nothing about.

There could be two issues: there isn’t plug in power being applied to the mic, or the connection is just improper. A TS jack isn’t going to work here, you need a 3.5mm to XLR jack. It could be a combinations of these two things. Don’t have phantom power on. You could fry the mic.

There could be two issues: there isn’t battery power being applied to the mic, or the connection is just improper. A TS jack isn’t going to work here, you need a 3.5mm to XLR jack. It could be a combinations of these two things.
Thanks for the response.
The mic as you can see isn't high tier or whatever the term is. It doesn't have a power input. And I tried the 3.5mm on another device it does pick up sound. So I should buy some 3.5mm to XLR jacks like this one here? Would the TS TRS be a factor?

Thanks for the response.
The mic as you can see isn't high tier or whatever the term is. It doesn't have a power input. And I tried the 3.5mm on another device it does pick up sound. So I should buy some 3.5mm to XLR jacks like this one here? Would the TS TRS be a factor?
Well, the mic requires 3-5 volts, I think. That could be supplied by other devices and I’m not sure the interface supplies it. It could. But yes, the jack could very well be a factor. I also don’t know if the input is a dual mono input, which would cancel itself out when using a jack. This very well may not be able to work at all.

Well, the mic requires 3-5 volts, I think. That could be supplied by other devices and I’m not sure the interface supplies it. It could. But yes, the jack could very well be a factor. I also don’t know if the input is a dual mono input, which would cancel itself out when using a jack. This very well may not be able to work at all.
Only one way to find out I guess. I'll keep you posted when the converter arrives. Also, do you have recommendations for small mics that would work if the converter doesn't work out?

Here’s a thread with the exact same problem you’re having an the same line of interfaces. Needs the 3-5v as I expected. I guess the interface doesn’t supply it.

I didn't even know what to search for, you are a life save my friend. Thank you so much for this.

Back