Ultratouch R13 Panels

frankcvo

I just made some and they do a great job with sound absorption in my recording "booth" - aka a closet. I followed the Auralex room analysis recommendation for placement, substituting my home made panels for the Auralex panels.

The only issue is I feel like I'm breathing fibers even though the insulation is covered with cloth. When I'm in the room my throat becomes raw. It could be all in my mind.

Anyone have experience with home made, cotton insulation based, panels?

I actually just made one a few weeks ago, just discovered the stuff :D. But I haven't had any trouble with any fibers, it's literally just cotton, no fiberclass or minerals in it. You wear blue jeans don't you? It's recycled jeans.

What did you use to cover the panels? Maybe something a little thicker and tight if you really think your having problems with it. Hell it might be what ever you used to cover the panels that's doing it.

But I really think it just might be all in your head lol. I would imagine if your were allergic to it, it would make more than just your throat raw. you know itchy eyes, nose, throat, skin irritation, etc.

I'll give it time, but there's definitely the smell of the insulation in the room. I used a polyester cloth as a cover - it's pretty heavy although I can breathe through it if it's over the mouth.

I'd hate to have wasted money on this if I now can't use it.

I'm in the room now, can smell the insulation, my lips are burning, and there's a tingle in the throat.

The good news is half the Ultratouch remains. I can sell it, or make more panels.

I'll give it time, but there's definitely the smell of the insulation in the room. I used a polyester cloth as a cover - it's pretty heavy although I can breathe through it if it's over the mouth.

Maybe you shouldn't do that^^^ :p

That's weird lol. Mine doesn't smell at all, atleast not like insulation like rockwool or something. I'd give it time and hope it gets better.

Some people are more sensitive to the fibers than others. Though, I never heard of an actual smell. Maybe a cat pissed on them in the warehouse?

It could just be some dust buildup from manufacturing, I had the same trouble early on when I used hessian cloth to cover my Polyester panels (similar to the panels you used), there seemed to be a smell or light dust taste in the air. I vacuumed the panels everyday for a few days and aired the room out and it went away within a week or so.

Alan.

Not sure what it was, but the smell has dissipated. It may have been from working with the insulation (making the panels), even with wearing a mask.

Vacume clean it ... Air humidifier option is good, too. Like those suggestions ..... I am alergic to dust-like particals. So I make sure I vacume really well.

If the problem exists, it probably would be a good idea to look/think of other alternatives ....

Back