Uhm.. I made a boo boo... bit rate problems and help please?

kevinfellows85

Hello everyone! It’s been a while since I have posted anything on here.

I have run into a little problem between studios and thought maybe someone could help me out. I have been working on a project for some time now in Logic at 24bit 48k and bounced stereo mix to bring into another studio to add some drums. Now as I was working in 24/48 and made sure that logic exported this file at this.
I brought it into an old Neve VR studio which had an old 24 track Mackie HDR. I set it to 24bit 48 and imported my stereo guide track mix into the HDR. The session went fine and I copied the files and threw them into my pro tools at home so I can do a little editing. What I was shocked to find when I dragged the session to the guide track is that nothing was in time (bare in mind that these are the exact files that were in the HDR). I have checked the files and to my horror, the original guide track was at 24bit 44.1k and the newly recorded drums were at 24bit 48k!!! Now somewhere… for some reason the HDR allowed me to run the 44.1k track, without converting its speed to the 48k one which has thrown the whole thing out!

This means in my pro tools session the drums are slower than the guide track because pro tools will convert these files. The obvious thing I can think of is time stretch the drums to fit with the original track but because I wasn’t using punch in and out on the Mackie HDR I have no reference where the real Start and End is of the audio. This may be to my advantage if I bring the drums down to 44.1 as it will tighten up some of the hits. I just have no idea how I would go about doing this?? I’m not thinking logically here, I know.. Just a little stressed as I don’t have the opportunity to get into that studio again.

Thanks

Is there a way to tell protools not to convert the sample rate when you import the files?

If not, do you have another program like soundforge or wavelab that will allow you to change the sample rate that the file thinks it is, without converting it?

Is there a way to tell protools not to convert the sample rate when you import the files?

Bingo.

In the import window, you can chose not to change the sample rate when you import some audio. I can't remember exactly how it's labelled - its not blindingly obvious but it's not hidden either. It somewhere around the bottom right of the import audio window.

Back