File and Folder Management for DAW Sessions | Ideas?

Hello. I'm a composer/producer, mix engineer, and mastering engineer (at times). My primary DAWs are Studio One (PreSonus) and Pro Tools (Avid). I'm looking for a better workflow system for my DAW session folders/files. At the moment, I work like this: EXT-Drive > "SESSIONS" (folder) > Artist (folders)

Inside of every artist folder are DAW session folders for their songs. This is a good start, but I'm now trying to find a good and clean way to sort the composition/production sessions, from the mixing sessions of those productions, from the mastering sessions of those mixes. It sounds like a lot of folders trying to happen, so before I get a little folder-happy, I thought I'd reach out here and get some ideas.

How do all of you separate your files and keep them organized? I want to get in a habit of keeping all of this clean to the point that when I need anything I can find it and it makes sense. Also, does anyone have experience working in a big studio and could you share some of your file/folder management techniques?

PS: I keep stems of each composition/production inside a folder that lives inside of each composition/production folder (so each "Stems" folder neighbors other folders that can be found in DAW sessions). This makes sense to me because stems come after the process of gain-staging and bouncing individual tracks out of a composition session in order to be used in a mixing session. Does my method for the stems folders seem valid?

Thank you for reading! I love a good discussion on this stuff.

My suggestion would be, create a drive that is just for your projects. Create a project based folder structure. Come up with a naming convention, Artist_project name, next level, songs. After that, when you open your DAW, new session, build your session, save to that folder.

That would be a start. Some of how your DAW saves the projects/files will drive a lot of your decisions. The main thing is to be consistent. File management is more about planning than just technology.

Back