Two biggest "Whaaaa?"s from my first day recording - Sensitivity/Gain & an interface issue

DownrightBass

Hey all. Did the research, got the gear, tried it out. I'm using a Rode NT2-A mic, Presonus Studio 26C audio interface, Studio One Artist daw, into a Windows 11 laptop. Just recording my speaking voice for now, hoping to get into voiceover.

Simpler question, I think: I didn't end up getting headphones yet, just using some earbuds through my laptop 3.5mm jack. But the sound only comes through that if I set the daw to use Windows Audio as its audio device, which presumably bypasses the interface altogether. But it still records through the mic and interface, best I can tell. Is that... right? Okay? Is it doing what I'd hope, or is it mixing things up and getting me a worse recording than I should have? I dunno, recording the mic signal but using the laptop soundcard instead of the interface or something. I wouldn't want that.

Second question, more general: I get the gain levels where I think they're supposed to be if I put the gain knob around 3 o'clock. But then, in addition to my voice, I can hear amplified versions of every sound in the house. Things I couldn't even hear before. If I lower the gain to noon, it sounds pretty good, it picks up other sounds about like I'd expect... but on the interface meter and the DAW, the signal is way lower than it should be. Soooo .....................what do I do about this? Record colder signals and amplify a ton in post? Buy a stupidly expensive soundproof booth? Something else?

Thanks all. And hi. I'm new here. Surprise. Nice to meet you.

Use the headphone output on the interface. Get a minijack to 1/4" adapter if that's what it takes. Then use the ASIO driver for optimum performance.

Unless you can reduce the actual volume of the interfering sounds or move to a quieter space, your best bet is to get closer to the mic. Reducing the gain does not alter the difference between the signal you want and the signals you don't want.

.... Reducing the gain does not alter the difference between the signal you want and the signals you don't want.
Exactly, you would potentially end up with more noise and a crappier signal if you try to boost something with a really low recording level.

Reducing the gain does not alter the difference between the signal you want and the signals you don't want.
*facepalm* Well I feel dumb. I definitely knew that. So much to keep track of, this is the sort of dumb mistake/oversight that feels inevitable. Well, that's one dumb mistake out of the way!

Guess I'll just try getting really cozy to the mic when everybody's asleep and see how it goes. Thanks

Don't feel bad. There's a ton to learn. I've been doing this nearly thirty years and I still learn new useful stuff.

Here's something to think about regarding distance. A 2:1 change in distance yields (usually) 6dB of level change. So if you cut your distance in half, that's a 6dB increase in level and a 6dB increase in the difference between your intended source and any background noise.

Is it possible that when you switched the audio settings to hear the earbuds from the laptop jack, that also switched the mic input to the built-in one in the laptop?

When I started recording, I was doing the exact opposite. Having come from a background of playing and singing in a rock band back in the late 60/early 70s, it was standard procedure to "eat the mic"... lips right on the mesh screen! When I got my first LDC, I went right up on the mic. WRONG MOVE! You play around and learn the best distance to get the tone you want, with the proper level. Once you get that, you can start working on reducing the ambient noise.

Remember that phrase "a rising tide lifts all boats"? It applies to trying to boost the sound. Normal speaking voice at 3 ft is around 60-65dB. An average home noise level is around 40dB. That is only a 20-25dB difference. Boost the voice in post and you boost the noise the same amount.

As for the headphone deal, I agree... just get an adapter to use the 1/4" jack on the interface. Then you can just disable the internal sound device. You can find them on Amazon for a buck or two. I bought a 5 pack a few weeks back when I couldn't find one of mine (they screw on the jack of my AKG and Sony headphones). Now I won't have to worry about hunting anymore.

Welcome to the merciless world of live recording! As others have said, you need to get closer to the mic but engage the 10dB pad on it. The mic also has 'high pass filters' (bass cut) switch on the 80Hz one, there it nothing in you voice that low and that will remove a good chunk of 'room crap'.
Do not fuss about recording levels, in fact err on the low side to give yourself plenty of headroom. You need to be recording at 24 bits and 44.1kHz and aim for a level in the DAW of around -20dBFS, a few peaks to -10dB but only the very rarest to -6dBFS. Yes, you can bring the track up post recording, a process called "Normalizing"

Noises off: Deal with those you can. Clock? fling the battery, fridge? Turn off whilst recording, nothing will spoil for fekkiin hours! Obviously shut windows and doors but in the end you just have to do VOs when things are quiet, 2am say!

Dave.

Back