Tweak XP SP2 for your DAW

TravisinFlorida said:
since it's just a text file, why don't you just copy/paste it here instead of the horrid rapidshare thing?
Good question, TravisinFlorida. You see, each time the file is downloaded
from rapidshare I "think" they give me "2 points". When, or IF, I collect
10,000 points rapidshare will extend my account for one month for free. It's
NOT like I'm using this site to earn money for myself. I am simply offering
free information, of my own design, for HR.com members in a way that
"could" save me the $9.60/mo fee that rapidshare charges. Hopefully,
some members will find this free information useful. If not, they have only wasted maybe a couple of minutes of their time because the file size is less than 6KB, which would only take about 60 seconds to download using a dial-up connection.
I'm a 100% disabled veteran, living with a neuro-degenerative brain
disease and other physical injuries, which means I don't have a whole lot
of income. I'm just trying to pinch pennies to help support my internet addiction, here, in a way that I hope does NOT offend or break any of the HR.com rules. I apologize if what I have done is against HR.com's rules for forum use, and I promise to never to it again once informed by HR.com's staff that it is NOT allowed.
Also, sorry to hear that you seem to have had some "horrid" experience(s) using rapidshare. Some people I speak with do complain about rapidshare's downloading "limits" for users who don't have an account. I must say, however, that I don't quite understand why they would complain about a "free" service. At any rate, I've heard that you can actually work-around their "time-waiting" restriction by simply logging off the net and re-booting your machine.
Again, I'm sorry if what I've done is explicitly against HR.com's rules for forum use. If the HR.com staff informs me to NOT do it again, I won't do it again. Cheers.

toyL said:
I'm a 100% disabled veteran, living with a neuro-degenerative brain disease and other physical injuries, which means I don't have a whole lot of income. I'm just trying to pinch pennies to help support my internet addiction, here, in a way that I hope does NOT offend or break any of the HR.com rules.
Well, then.

TravisinFlorida said:
toyl, waiting on downloads is usually bad enough. waiting x seconds to wait for a download is even worse.
Understood; and patience is a virtue.
BTW. Do you think that you'll have any use for what I've provided? Just curious.

toyL said:
Understood; and patience is a virtue.
BTW. Do you think that you'll have any use for what I've provided? Just curious.

to be honest, i didn't wait for the download. i'm betting that not many others did either.

TravisinFlorida said:
to be honest, i didn't wait for the download. i'm betting that not many others did either.
I appreciate your candor. Currently, my post has had 94 Views, maybe 5 from myself, maybe 5 from you, and 1 or 2 from austinm08. That leaves about 82 other views from members who didn’t feel compelled to reply. Rapidshare shows it has been downloaded 9 times in the 4 days since I uploaded it (82/9 = 9.1). So, apparently 9 “newbies” felt the info might be useful enough to “wait” for the download. So, you may be correct to say that “...not many others...” felt like “waiting x seconds to wait for a download...” It may very well be that “waiting” for a free bit (5.27KB) of potentially useful info is in fact a fairly critical matter for some of us. That said, of course, we can't determine “exactly” why these viewers chose NOT to download it, based on the simple stats that we have to work with. We can, however, safely predict at least 3 possible reasons why they chose NOT to download it: 1) they didn't want to “wait for a download” as you have indicated, 2) some members simply don't download “anything”, for security reasons, from people they don't know and trust. and 3) it simply didn't seem like something they could use—based on my brief description of the info in the file; after all, there's a 50/50 chance that all “newbies” have already primed their machines in order “to optimize system resources for” recording sessions. That's the reason I stated that “Constructive feedback is VERY welcome...” Thanks for helping me think this through. So, excluding my own “views”, as well as your's and austinm08's (because we already know you guys don't like to “wait”), we’re left with 82 other known views.

Now then, let's look a bit more critically at this notion of time spent “waiting” for a 5.27KB file download from rapidshare by comparing it to the time it might take for a member to simply copy/paste the text to create a new notepad.txt. I believe the copy/paste procedure would go something like this: 1) clk/drag to highlight the text, 2) right clk and select copy, 3) clk to minimize the screen, 4) clk to open notepad, 5) clk to paste the text, 6) clk on File and select Save as, 7) type in a filename, and clk Save. This might take every bit of 30sec.

So, I thought maybe a quicker way would be to simply clk on File in your browser, clk Save as, clk to choose to save it as either an .html or a .txt doc, and clk Save. I tried this both ways using the yahoo IE browser (.html and .txt), and wound up each time with a “PhotoParade” file on my desktop. I tried to open it and got an error msg. I clicked “OK”, which brought up a tastefully designed screenshot invitation to visit “PhotoParade.com” in order to download the software needed to view the file. Hmmm. Never ran into this before using the yahoo browser, but I’ll have to check it out because it looked pretty cool.

Of course, I realize that not everyone uses yahoo dsl, so I decided to try the same procedure using plain ol' IE to save the page as a .txt file. This worked quickly enough to produce a .txt file that you may or may not want to take the time to re-name for clarity (to edit out the lengthy header ahead of the actual filename), although the file itself was cluttered with a fair amount of extraneous HR.com text that would take only a few seconds to cut and re-save (depending on how LAZY you feel at the moment). Using IE I found that the whole File/Save as and re-naming thing took about 20sec. Add to that maybe another 15sec to open the file, edit out the extraneous HR.com text in the document itself, and re-save it.

Using the rapidshare link that I provided, without logging in as a Premium user, it took me exactly 30sec. No need to re-name the file, to or edit out any extraneous text. 1) clk on the link, 2) scroll down, clk on “Free”, 3) enter the 4 digit key shown, 4) clk download, 5) clk Save, 6) clk Save again and the dl takes less than 1 sec with a high-speed connection, or maybe as much 60 sec for dial-up if you're located thousands of miles from the nearest rapidshare server. (30sec)

Yeh, I know there are dozens of ways to save data, and that various browsers, operating-systems, and softwares can all be tweaked to save things pretty much however you’d like to do so. Everybody has their favorite ways, and you just had to go and ask me why I use that “…horrid rapidshare thing?”

BTW. With 5,176 posts you hardly seem like a “newbie”, which makes me wonder how you even wound up reading my post to begin with (especially when you've already admitted to being LAZY). Maybe you've confused laziness with “boredom”, and simply wound up reading my post and eventually chiding me out of shear boredom...or, maybe you ARE a newbie intent on cranking out a shit-load of one-liner posts that amount to little more than expressions of laziness, what you like, what you don't like, etc. No offense taken here, bro.

ok, to over analyze this, here's what flashed thru my head when clicking your link:

1. the thought of waiting to download a text file is rediculous to me. learn some html and throw up a an ad supported web page if you really need to generate some pocket change.

2. i'm an information junkie. that means that i'm constantly looking for information that interests me and i'm going to find it as quickly as possible. web pages are fast. reading a forum post is fast. waiting to download a text file from rapidshare isn't. why in the hell is this guy putting a text file on rapidshare? (translation to your words: lazy)

3. i've probably read much more about tweaking xp for daw purposes than the average home recording guy. i've also tried most of what i've read and evaluated whether or not the tweaks were useful. i'd say that 90% of the xp tweaking tips i've read are a waste of time or counter productive. the ones that are useful, imo, could be compiled into a single short post on this bbs. also, putting the information out in the open allows other members to chime in with their opinions and experiences which might save some time for the newbs.

i still haven't downloaded your text file and i'm not going to. i told you why others aren't downloading it but you seem to be set with your agenda. you want to share information but you also want to be compensated for it some how. i suggest that you develop some good content, give it a nice presentation, and look for a better way to generate income from it. a text file of gathered tweaks that must be downloaded after a waiting period isn't exactly the most inviting presentation. would you read a book compiled in a text file? what about a book printed on loose paper? some unique content wouldn't hurt either. xp tweaks are available (openly) on every recording forum and plenty of web pages. also, i'll admit that downloading a text file from rapidshare seems kind of sketchy.

you seem a little insane. no offense bro. (see how that doesn't go over smoothly?). yea, some people skills wouldn't hurt.

TravisinFlorida said:
1. the thought of waiting to download a text file is
rediculous to me.
There's NO "waiting" involved here, Travis. The dl takes less than 1 sec with a
high-speed connection. It takes a simple clk on the link, scroll down & clk on
"Free", enter the 4 digit key shown, clk download, clk Save, clk Save again and you're done.
TravisinFlorida said:
3. i've probably read much more about tweaking xp for daw purposes than the average home recording guy. i've also tried most of
what i've read and evaluated whether or not the tweaks were useful. i'd say that 90% of the xp tweaking tips i've read are a waste of time or counter productive. the ones that are useful, imo, could be compiled into a single short post on this bbs.
OK, man, GREAT!...post away...I'm sure plenty of us would be interested--
especially if you can provide the info concisely and comprehensively...BTW--
my document is over a thousand words, which seemed just a tad too long for a single post...but, who's to say?
TravisinFlorida said:
also, putting the information out in the open allows other members to chime in with their opinions and experiences...
...which is exactly why I welcomed any feedback in my original post.
TravisinFlorida said:
i still haven't downloaded your text file and i'm not
going to.
...no one asked you to.
TravisinFlorida said:
you seem a little insane.
...lots of people seem a little insane.
TravisinFlorida said:
no offense bro.
...none taken.

have it your way...

Tell ya what...if you're so displeased with the link I provided for members to dl a free copy of my own work, why don't you just dl it and paste it into this thread. I promise you that it's not copyrighted material, which means there are very few restrictions concerning how you use it. Of course, I realize that you've known this all along...but, pls go ahead and do whatever you want.

you can do much better than rapidshare.. plus you'll probably never get 10,000 'points'. there are lots of free services. not to mention that for like $30 a year you can rent a webserver and not have to deal with anybody's policies.

treymonfauntre said:
you can do much better than rapidshare..
Thanks, and any specific recommendations are welcomed.

treymonfauntre said:
...plus you'll probably never get 10,000 'points'.
Ya'know, I'm not exactly hell-bent on getting 10k pts. I mean, I've got plenty of free time on my hands, but I'm really not a big time file-sharer to begin with. I went with rapidshare because they seem to have tons of data available, and because so many people seem to have "some" trust in their service.

treymonfauntre said:
...not to mention that for like $30 a year you can rent a webserver and not have to deal with anybody's policies.
Again, any specific recommendations are welcomed. At the same time, I guess I could also make more use of my yahoo briefcase to share files. For that matter, I could probably buy an old Intel SAI2 server board for $30 and set it up myself. These "independent" alternatives would certainly work well enough for sharing with my personal friends, but somehow I'm under the impression that "users at-large" (i.e. fellow members of the few forums I visit) might feel more comfortable downloading from a large well-established service like rapidshare. It very well may be that rapidshare-users are under a false sense of security, for whatever reason(s). I can say, however, that I've never downloaded data from rapidshare that presented any malware problems.
Again, thanks for your reply.

Shit, you can host an entire website from your computer. But whether or not it can take a heavy load is determined by your internet connection. Most broadband (DSL/Cable) connections can't handle a high server load. For a simple txt file like a Tweak XP SP2 For your DAW it should be fine.

Most hosting is at least $9.99/mo or about $100/yr. For a simple text file I'd say find a free host or host it from your computer.

With that said I think it's a helpful guide even though I already knew about everything in it. I personally didn't tweak anything in XP and it runs fine. But for people who want to I think it's a great guide.

Im just posting to say that I didnt download the file. Just in case you were wondering who that unaccounted for view was. But don't feel bad, I wouldn't have read it even if I didn't have to download it.

Back