Tube amp watts?

rockabilly1955

I know tube amps seem to be louder than SS amps at the same watts. That being said, how many tube amp watts would equal the power of a 65 watt SS amp? I think imma finally get a tube amp soon. I'm giving in to peer pressure! LOL

I know tube amps seem to be louder than SS amps at the same watts. That being said, how many tube amp watts would equal the power of a 65 watt SS amp? I think imma finally get a tube amp soon. I'm giving in to peer pressure! LOL

5 maybe? For sure one of the 15-30 watters would be louder. I have an 18 watter that gets pretty damn loud.

I'd like to give you a deifinite answer, but it is simply not possible. There are many factors other than just the wattage or type of amp that play a role in the actual perceived volume of the sound once it hits your ear. Things like bias, ohms, speaker selection, cabinet design, tons of factors within the amp itself.... the list could get long. It basically comes down to every amp is different.

not an expert, but a personal perception:

i've had nothing but solid-state 60-watters back when i was actually in a band rehearsing situation. i've never felt a need for more power, although my last amp was Tech21 Trademark 60, which I often ran into the PA, but for more presence, not really volume. I liked it going through more speakers.

that being said, after sampling the 5wt Epi Valve Junior at Sam Ash i felt it's actually louder - i was actually afraid to turn it past noon - they would kick me out. And if you run it into a multiple speaker cab or mic it, really volume will not be an issue.

in quantitative terms 5 watt is about half as loud as 50 watt (it's exponential - 10x wattage to double perceived loudness).

getting a stack or a powerful combo will actually cause problems - being too loud, as in drowning out the bass and drums and still not really sounding the amp's best.

not an expert, but a personal perception:

i've had nothing but solid-state 60-watters back when i was actually in a band rehearsing situation. i've never felt a need for more power, although my last amp was Tech21 Trademark 60, which I often ran into the PA, but for more presence, not really volume. I liked it going through more speakers.

that being said, after sampling the 5wt Epi Valve Junior at Sam Ash i felt it's actually louder - i was actually afraid to turn it past noon - they would kick me out. And if you run it into a multiple speaker cab or mic it, really volume will not be an issue.

in quantitative terms 5 watt is about half as loud as 50 watt (it's exponential - 10x wattage to double perceived loudness).

getting a stack or a powerful combo will actually cause problems - being too loud, as in drowning out the bass and drums and still not really sounding the amp's best.

Man. I think your right. I was messing with those 5 watt Crate Palomino tube amps, and I was scared to turn it up cuz it was loud! I currently use one of those vintage looking Crate Retro Flex 65 watt amps that are supposed to sound "tubish" and I actually have grown to really like the sound. The clean channel is amazing. Thats why I think i wanna go with a Crate tube amp. The Fender amps are just too piercing in the highs, and if you try to lower the highs or adjust the tone on your guitar, it just loses alot of life. I was trying to force myself to like the Fender amps just cuz of the name, but I just cant like the sound for my tastes.

The Fender amps are just too piercing in the highs, and if you try to lower the highs or adjust the tone on your guitar, it just loses alot of life. I was trying to force myself to like the Fender amps just cuz of the name, but I just cant like the sound for my tastes.

me too! like the tone of them, but worry about my eardrums. they're nice on recordings to listen too, but i don't imagine myself ever getting one.

palominos i've heard too, very nice.

I've got the EPI VJ head and a 50 watt Marshall JCM800 2004 head -- through the same 4x12 cabinet, the Marshall sounds a *lot* more than twice as loud as the EVJ - can't explain that though. I agree that the EVJ is way too loud for bedroom playing (I use an attenuator with it), but turning that Marshall up to even 3 on the master volume in the bedroom puts you into a "fight-or-flee" kind of mindset and feels like it's changing the laws of physics around you.

There are other variables -- the EVJ won't get nearly as loud with fewer speakers and lower power handling speakers. It can get louder with lower Ohms of speaker impedance, etc.

Also, at least in the 80's (the last time I checked), amp makers were using different methods to measure the watts of output in a way that made them impossible to compare across brands. Normally, the solid state amps seemed to have higher wattage claims for what seemed to be the same perceived loudness, but that could have been the measurement approach as well as anything else.

...but turning that Marshall up to even 3 on the master volume in the bedroom puts you into a "fight-or-flee" kind of mindset and feels like it's changing the laws of physics around you.

I would imagine the small space to be the reason - standing waves and such. it IS at least twice as powerful as far as SPL's, so the small space perhaps accentuates the effect. Maybe if you compared them in an open space...

There are other variables -- the EVJ won't get nearly as loud with fewer speakers and lower power handling speakers. It can get louder with lower Ohms of speaker impedance, etc.

Also, at least in the 80's (the last time I checked), amp makers were using different methods to measure the watts of output in a way that made them impossible to compare across brands. Normally, the solid state amps seemed to have higher wattage claims for what seemed to be the same perceived loudness, but that could have been the measurement approach as well as anything else.

maybe, but i tested the 8" combo at SamAsh and it was truly loud.

the wattage rating might also be the reason.

One tasty product that comes to mind... THD Univalve. Fifteen watts (depending upon the tubes you use), with a built in hot plate. I personally like the EL84 in the final.

Back