Trying to save as a .wav

I was able to create a drum pattern and get it into Hydrogen and then record myself playing guitar with it. Now I was to save all of it as a .wav file. When I finished recording the guitar i was prompted to save and I was able to save the guitar track but not the drums track. How do I save both tracks together?

Please keep answers simple. This is my first attempt at using Reaper and I know nothing.

If I'm understanding you correctly, I think you need to export the drums from Hydrogen as a wav file and drop that into Reaper, then record the guitar on another track. Then you can export the whole thing as a wav.

I thought you wanted to 'save' both tracks. Im asuming you wanted the drum midi info for the pattern.

Great you rendered your mix. No midi is saved.

Are they instrument samples played by a keyboard? Perhaps.

Midi will help you build better drum tracks. Better keyboard tracks. Send commands to devices. Quantize devices. Synchronize devices. Sequence devices. It can do a few things.

Beaky, many of us don't have or use any midi devices. The only one I have ever used is my SR18 drum machine, and I always just recorded the audio output. Until I started to use MT PowerDrumKit, I had never used, created or saved a midi file. I can't play keyboards worth a crap, so I don't syncronize anything, sequence anything, quanitize anything.

If I had a drummer available, I wouldn't be using MTPDK or the SR18.

As for saving the project, saving the project saves all the midi data if there is any, as well as any audio data. As he learned, rendering the track is what he wants.

Beaky, many of us don't have or use any midi devices. The only one I have ever used is my SR18 drum machine, and I always just recorded the audio output. Until I started to use MT PowerDrumKit, I had never used, created or saved a midi file. I can't play keyboards worth a crap, s
Fiddle sticks.

A cheap midi controller would allow you to play an assortment of incredible keyboard simulators. Tap drums. Then the DAW would allow correction of what you played in midi constructions. Any instrument. Sample anything. with any effects.

Most leads and synth bass are Gliss'd or ARP'd so its played with one finger. Think linear. Like a string on your guitar. Add some midi accompaniment. It cannot hurt.

Last edited:
Fiddle sticks.

A cheap midi controller would allow you to play an assortment of incredible keyboard simulators. Tap drums. Then the DAW would allow correction of what you played in midi constructions. Any instrument. Sample anything. with any effects.

Most leads and synth bass are Gliss'd or ARP'd so its played with one finger. Think linear. Like a string on your guitar. Add some midi accompaniment. It cannot hurt.
I think you and I have very different ideas about what music should sound like. And that's cool! I simply want a more primitive sound in my music. IMHO the link I posted above is the most beautiful sound I've ever heard. If you analize it you'll find in one bar he plays in 3/4. In the next in 4/4 and then 5/4 in the bar after that! But it all flows together. And if you quantized it you'd diminish it. It was a live performance by a master Blues man after he'd polished off the better part of a bottle of whisky. That's the sound I aspire to in my music. I'll never get there of course. I just keep trying.

I've heard the word "midi" for the last 35 years and still have no clue what it means. I have no use or need of it.
Musical Instrument Digital Interface. It's kind of like a digital form of the old player pianos with their piano rolls. Some MIDI software even calls their timeline a piano roll.

Basically, you hit a key on a keyboard or a pad on a percussion device and a command is sent that tells another device to play a sound. Play a different key, you get a different sound. Play it harder or softer, the sound is louder or quieter (or some other kind of difference). In the old days this was all about keyboard or percussion controllers (what you played on) and sound modules (what the audio came out of) connected by MIDI cables (that carried the MIDI signals). Now there is software that lets you edit the MIDI notes and apply all sorts of different sounds. In a lot of recording software you can have a MIDI track running along with your audio tracks. That means that at least some of what you do in Hydrogen could be done right inside Reaper. Then you could alter the drum track (or synths or whatever) at will, without having to export from one program to another as a wav.

And if you quantized it you'd diminish it.
That doesn't really happen.
. That's the sound I aspire to in my music. I'll never get there of course. I just keep trying.
I feel that way too. Lots of guitar sound tests. Trying different gain levels. Lots sound like this, and they are not good.

Each time i record, there is something new I learn. Layering different tracks. I would not want to limit myself any selection of instruments. keyboard guitar bass drums etc..what ever else I cannot play I can fake on the sampler.

Back