Trying to Record multiple track simultaneously in Garageband.

andrewjt

Right I'm a bit of a noob, not an out and out noob but I'd say I still fall comfortably into that category.
I've done a lot of recording at home using an Alesis Multimix 4 which I love and up till now it has done everything I've ever wanted or needed it to. The problem is that the multimix only does a stereo sub mix, so I can record 2 tracks at once if I pan one hard right and the other hard left but that's it. What I'd really like now is something that would allow me to record at least 8 tracks simultaneously into 8 separate tracks in Garageband. I'm confident something out there like this exists I'm just wondering what my best option is.

For eight separate tracks you'd need an eight channel, full-duplex interface. Your cheapest option would probably be the Tascam US-1800. The US-1800 would get the job done just fine, although you could go for something a little bit higher quality such as the Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, the Tascam US-2000, or the M-Audio Fast Track 8R if you wanted to put in some extra money.

I read this when looking at the Tascam US 1800.
"Up to 16 inputs and 4 outputs are transmitted to Mac or Windows over high-speed USB 2.0 connection."
Does that mean I'll only be able to record on 4 separate tracks in garageband?

"Up to 16 inputs and 4 outputs are transmitted to Mac or Windows over high-speed USB 2.0 connection."

The outputs are for your monitors. All inputs go through the USB and into your DAW. The stereo mix will often come back out into the main stereo outputs, the other 2 may be another stereo output for an extra pair of monitors, or could be general purpose outputs, where you can set them up any way you want. I'm not sure with that particular interface. But all inputs go through the USB.

somegeezer is right. The US-1800 is full-duplex, meaning that every input you have on the device gets individually sent to the computer. You can simultaneously record up to 16 separate tracks.

What about the 'Alesis MultiMix 16 USB 2.0 Mixer with USB Interface' would this allow me to potentially record my whole band onto separate tracks in garageband so we could record together? I know their is another version of the alesis multimix 16 that I believe only offers a stereo sub mix but this is a lot more expensive but if it does allow me to record the whole band at once it's worth it as I could also use it in a live situation.

It's comfortably, but I haven't tested in multichannel. Works fine in DAW, but the driver do not strictly's up for the operational system. Windows in my case.
Anyway the frequency is up to date in multiple instruments and it's up ahead for the multiple conversion, if you got it on the way.

Back