truvox r94 slow motors!!!

moogmymellotron

hello everyone!

I recently acquired a truvox r94 tube tape machine. As excited as i was to get it for next to nothing i soon realized I had a problem. The machine was made in the UK so it runs on 220v 50hz.

Ive clean the tape path, pinch rollers, tubes. No belts since its motor driven. Everything is good to go BUT when I changed the input voltage selector to run on 110v, the motors BARELY have the necessary juice to turn the reels, PLAY slowly picks up to speed, while RWD is just impossible.

I ask, what could be my solution for this, everything is fine, all the rubber parts are in great shape, clean as a whistle, no leaky caps. Im stuck! im suspecting it to be related to the whole 50hz to 60hz conversion. Would i be better off putting the voltage selector from the machines tranny back to 220v and stepping it down w a converter? or am I looking in the wrong area? any help would be greatly appreciated!! thank you!

I take it that the machine has a voltage selector switch. I don't think the 60 v. 50 Hz issue would cause the problem you describe, but it will be a problem. I suspect the selector switch is dirty or corroded.

more on 50Hz

If it turns out you can't readily convert it to 50Hz operation, you could probably build something using a 220V/50Hz inverter, a motorcycle batter, and a battery charger that can keep up with it. Might cost $150 or so, total.

Hey guys

I don't have the schematic for the unit. The pin connector on the tranny seems to be fine. No corrosion.

I have recapped the run caps on the motor and still seems to lag, I suspect the start cap might be a problem? Its a triple section can of 50uf x 3 at 350v.

the motors work fine when the machine has no load on it.I'm beginning to doubt it being the 50/60hz conversion since the motors all spin fine and freely, don't show any signs of overheating.

How can I begin to isolate the problem? How can I be certain its the star cap? Or the 50/60hz cobversion? Any other areas I might be overlooking? Thanks!!!

Back