trs cables or xlr cable for active speakers ???

durlew04

hi guys

just bought some trs cables for my krk rokit speakers, but ive been reading stuff and people say use xlr cables for speakers ( for better performance ! ) ? are they talking nonsense or .......

cheers lewis :)

Last edited:
TRS or XLR will both work fine. Both are balanced. On the other hand, plain TS cables are not balanced. They are also usually fine, but can pick up unwanted noise.

Given the choice, I'd use TRS as they're easier to plug and unplug in dark and dingy places... (such as behind the monitors...).:D

While on the other hand ..... I have an over abundance of XLR cable so that is what I use.

One good thing about XLR is it's locking mechanism. :thumbs up:

As usual, (always?) gecko tells the truth.

The biggest difference may be XLR's lock into place, TRS's don't. Which is better for you is a matter of personal preference- if you trip over the cable, do you want to risk losing the signal to the speaker, or yanking the speaker off it's perch?

There is no performance difference whatsoever between TRS and XLR connectors (and the cable in the middle will be identical). For active speakers it probably doesn't matter at all.

Now, a couple of things to think about: first, as has been said, TRS might be slightly easier to swap around because they don't lock. This can be a mixed blessing and, if there's a chance that the cables might be accidentally pulled, maybe consider XLR just for the lock.

Second (and not applicable here) for any application involving phantom power, never use TRS. Because the three connections are not made simultaneously, it can result in damage to gear when it gets 48v on one leg but not the other. Since the phantom output of mixers and interfaces is almost always on XLR only, it takes some effort to feed it to TRS--but, believe it or not, I've seen it.

Yes Lewis,
it is nonsense. XLR and TRS are electrically identical ( there are some specialized "digital" XLR cables that are nominal 110Ohms but that is not moot here) .

The point about phantom power is well put and I know of at least one mic pre amp that left spook juice on the TRS line input! As for XLRs locking? A great many don't these days! I have just checked my Tannoys and yes, they have a latch but my A&H mixer sockets don't. Fast track pro no, NI KA6 yes, not that this really matters in a home setup.

Dave.

Sorry, but in the professional world give me a locking connector any day of the week.

Sorry, but in the professional world give me a locking connector any day of the week.

Heh! Another fekkin' meeting!!!???

Back in the day when tape recorders weighed 1/2 ton and mixers were bolted to the floor, the locking XLR made sense, not so sure now.

But of course the cable connectors must always retain the latch.

Dave.

I'd see it the other way around. It's moveable gear that needs locking connectors, if only because it's too easy for some numpty to decide to move it to make room for something else and pull the audio connectors just far enough out to lose the connection. Yes, I'm looking at you Lighting, Video and Pyro people!

I know it's probably less of an issue in a home studio with only one person using it--but I hate trouble shooting slightly loose connections.

I'd see it the other way around. It's moveable gear that needs locking connectors, if only because it's too easy for some numpty to decide to move it to make room for something else and pull the audio connectors just far enough out to lose the connection. Yes, I'm looking at you Lighting, Video and Pyro people!

I know it's probably less of an issue in a home studio with only one person using it--but I hate trouble shooting slightly loose connections.

I take your point. My preference has nothing to do with practicalities . . . except the ease of whipping the XLRs out at the end of the night. It is not good risk management, though.

It's just my paranoia gecko...but just because I'm paranoid it doesn't mean they aren't out to get me!

Back