Trevor Bolder dies at 62.

grimtraveller

If only for a moment.....
I've had a bit of a hectic week with my son having an unexpected operation so I've been kind of behind in the news {well, some of it} and I just heard that Trevor Bolder, bassist with Bowie's Spiders from Mars and Uriah Heep died last week.
He was another that went due to cancer.
People don't really mention Bolder but he was a good solid player. I became acquainted with his playing very early on in my musical appreciation though I didn't realize his significance at the time. It was on Uriah Heep's "Fallen angel" LP that I first heard him. I remember, even at 17 being struck by how the bass on that album tamed the guitars and keyboards, quite unlike Deep Purple and Led Zeppelin whom I had just gotten into. Those guitars just rang, raged and made the rest of the players go where they led. Uriah Heep {at least in 1979} weren't like that.
An interesting subconscious lesson.
Later I got into the Bowie albums that he was on { I still adore "Hunky Dory"} and dug his playing even more. On that movie of Bowie's last gig with the Spiders, he does an interesting and lively piece with Mick Ronson and Woody Woodmansey in the middle of "Width of as circle".
Well, I liked it.

Bowie said some nice things about Bolder when he heard the news but in interviews, when talking about Bowie in the time they worked together, Bolder was, shall we say, less than complimentary.....

Def. an excellent bassist & as a Spider due enormous respect.
Too early, too young,
The Big C got another one.

Back