Tracking with headphones. . .

paddedcell

Doggy Claws
My studio is still going through birth pangs -- its downsides are that it's small (about 6' x 9', with a 7' ceiling), and I haven't got anyplace to use for isolation (yet). Its upsides are that it's really well-insulated, and everything pretty much fits into it (as long as I put it on one leg at a time). It's based around a 2488, and I have Audax M08 monitors. I run my keyboards into a Soundcraft M4 board which then runs into the 2488 where I can assign the signal to whatever channels.

Here's my problem. I need to record vocals (other than my own), and I have to do them in this room. That means the monitors get muted, and the headphones go on. The 2488 has one headphone output, and I need at least two. I'm inclined to run the vocal mic directly into the 2488, rather than through the Soundcraft board, to avoid any signal degradation or added noise. (Am I being overly cautious about that?)

Any ideas about how to get multiple headphone monitors from the 2488, or the Soundcraft board?

I concede that I may be overlooking the obvious. . .I tend to do that sometimes. . .:o

Greg

A headphone amp is one answer, I had the same issue because want to have maybe four people listening through headphones to the main mix. I just added an Alesis multimix 6 which has six channels with their own aux in and independent volume control, also a shed load of additional headphone sockets on the rear. I'm pretty chuffed with it, especially as by connecting it to the multi-tracker monitor outputs, it has a straight through which can either go to another unit to expand further. Or as I have mine go straight off into the monitors. The unit does not need to be on if using speaker monitors even though the output from the multi-tracker passes through it. I'm converting part of the room next door to my recording gear into a soundproof booth and need maybe two or three pairs of headphones in there at some point hence my own need for the expansion of headphone outputs. The facility of being able to input additional audio for each independent channel will become useful at some point too. I deliberately bought a variety of studio headphones with slightly varying sound characteristics so if having to work quiet I can get a more balanced opinion of how a mix sounds. I do have matched phones too so when recording with an additional vocalist we both hear the same thing.

regards

Tim

For just a little more that the adaptor you can get a very simple head phone amp from Behringer. For about AUS$80 you can get one that has 4 outs and allows 2 indep stereo sources in.
There are a multitude of options available to you - budget is probably the biggest factor. For the amount of use etc for me the 2nd level Behri is perfect. Phrasemarker has a better ear & the option he offers is better still.
The advantage of the sep h/phone amp over the adaptor is that it will allow the performer to be further away from the interface which was for me something else I needed as I've had the occasional experience of someone pulling the interface off the desk as ey go for a walk with the cans on. The mid level Behri allows me the length of the h/phone cable AND the length of a cable from the back of the amp to the interface.

& this is what I was talking about:
http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-AMP...1349171272&sr=1-4&keywords=headphone+mini+amp
It's MUCH cheaper anywhere other outside of Australia.
Indep. volume controls for each of the 4 sets of phones. A choice of two sep stereo inputs for each set of h/phones as well & purdy lights to make it all more exciting.
I strapped mine to an old guitar stand so I can put it in the middle of the room etc - well away from other stuff if needed.
I've been down the adaptor & extension path & it did get me by for a little while but then I bought an old ex school "listening post" for 8 sets: the flexibility that allowed was amazing.
Now I have the shiny toy version but it is remarkably cheap & flexible.

Ive used all that that was mentioned before plus more but,here is even another option: an extra cassettedeck/CD recorder are player with a headphone out with seperate volumn control is great plus you get the added benefit of seeing another set of meters,LEDs :D

Thanks to everyone for good advice! For the time being, I may make do with the adaptor, because I have to do everything in the confines of my "control room" ( - control is an illusion - ). If you walk two steps in any direction, you hit a wall. . .

So no cord is too short. . .:D

When I finally conquer the presently-cluttered-warehouse that will be my primary recording area, I think the headphone amp will become essential. The Behringer does look like it might fill the bill. Right now, I'm running keyboards and drum machines directly into the 2488, and doing my vocals in the room. I mix on speakers and just use the cans to track vocals. I'm soon bringing in another vocalist (a real one, actually) for a couple of songs, and for a time anyway, I guess that will be the exception rather than the rule.

Ive used all that that was mentioned before plus more but,here is even another option: an extra cassettedeck/CD recorder are player with a headphone out with seperate volumn control is great plus you get the added benefit of seeing another set of meters,LEDs :D

LEDs are purty. . .:o

When I was recording my band's singer, I just plugged my headphones into my monitors because they have a aux slot. This mutes the monitors as well.
However when I get to the point where I record someone else playing drums, because my drums are in a different room, I will not be moving my monitors so I will nead a headphone splitter

Back